Colorado Pest Control Licenses For Commercial Applicator And Limited Commercial Or Public Applicator

This article refers to 3 types of Colorado pest control licenses. They are company-type licenses, as opposed to actual individuals. The one with the most stringent requirements is the commercial applicator. Then, the same requirements are applied to both limited commercial applicators and public applicators (government entities).

Note that a sole proprietor is allowed to be a commercial applicator. Although that is only one person, the applicant would have to qualify as a commercial applicator and either be or employ a qualified person to do the pest control work.

Commercial Applicator

A commercial applicator must have general liability insurance in the amount of at least $400,000. The business must also have at least one qualified supervisor.

A certificate of good standing that was issued within 60 days before the application date is required for registered business organizations. This is not required of sole proprietors, who fill out a citizen verification form as part of the application packet.

If applicable, you must disclose all DBA names. This is not required if you do not have any such Doing Business As names.

If you are going to operate as an aerial applicator, you must receive authorization from the FAA. This is a separate federal license. The Colorado Department of Agriculture requires proof of this before they will give you your state commercial applicator license.

As of 2016, there is a $350 license application fee. But you must pay an additional $100 for each DBA name. Your original name (person or company name) does not have this $200 fee. Payments should be made out to the Colorado Department of Agriculture.

Limited Commercial And Public Applicators

As stated above, these two applicator entities have the same requirements. Even a government agency performing this work must get a license. A limited commercial applicator is a licensee that uses pesticide on property that the licensee personally owns or leases, if the pesticide is being used during the course of business. A homeowner would not fall under this rule unless the homeowner is doing pest control for business purposes.

All of these licensees must have a qualified supervisor. The main difference between these applicants and the general commercial applicators is that there is no requirement to get liability insurance.

The other difference comes to getting a certificate in good standing. Corporations and other registered business organizations that are applying as a limited applicator do still need to present a certificate of good standing that is not more than 60 days old. Sole proprietors and public applicators do not have to present such a certificate, as they wouldn’t be able to get one, anyway.

The application fee is also less for this license. It’s $50, and there is no DBA rule or related $100 fees.

Comments And Updates