Connecticut License Requirements For a Speech And Language Pathologist

Speech and language pathologists in Connecticut need to get a license from the Department of Public Health. Requirements include an exam, get a formal education in speech and language pathology, and obtain some professional supervised experience.

Candidates for this Connecticut license must at least get a master’s degree in speech and language pathology. A doctorate is not required. The program must have been accredited by ASHA at the time of the applicant’s graduation. Other programs might be accepted. But they have to meet certain requirements. So if you have not yet entered a master’s degree program, it is best to choose one that is accredited by ASHA.

The experience requirement is an SPE, which is Supervised Professional Experience. This could be either in Connecticut or some other state. If, for some reason, you did not complete an SPE in another state, you can use licensed work experience as long as that experience occurred after receiving a master’s degree. If you did not have a license for this post-master’s work experience, then the time will not be credited unless you were certified by ASHA or another professional organization accepted by the Department. If you qualify to substitute the SPE via work experience, you must have at least 18 months of part-time work or 9 months of full-time work.

The Connecticut speech and language pathologist exam is the one administered by ETS. It is either the NTE or whatever current exam that ETS is using. Sometimes, the name of the test changes. At the time of this article, it is referred to as the Praxis exam in speech-language pathology. The only time that you do not have to take a licensing exam is if you area already certified by ASHA with a Certificate of Clinical Competence. But for recent graduates, this usually means that you will have to take the test since the exam is the current basis for obtaining the Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA.

Applicants pay a $200 license application fee, as of 2016. Exam fees are separate.

There are 2 different SPE forms. The first one below is used if you completed your experience in Connecticut. The second one is for when you completed the SPE in another jurisdiction. The third form is to verify work experience that is being claimed in lieu of the SPE.

Comments And Updates