How To Become a Licensed Veterinarian Or Veterinary Technician In Connecticut

The Connecticut Department of Public Health is the licensing authority for veterinarians. At the time of this 2017 post, there are no requirements to get a license to work as a veterinary technician. However, because this is a growing field that may require a Connecticut license in the future, I have included some information on Connecticut veterinary technology schools and how vet techs normally qualify to get a license. This could be helpful if you think you may be moving to a state that does require a license.

Veterinarian applicants must graduate from a school that was accredited by the AVMA at the time of graduation. The standard accepted degree is a doctorate in veterinary medicine. And these degrees are awarded at veterinary medicine schools and some schools of veterinary dentistry or surgery. The following page can be used to access a database of accredited US and Canadian schools. There were no Connecticut veterinary medicine schools when I checked. Cornell University has a program, and so does Tufts University. The University of Pennsylvania is another fairly close school.

There are hundreds of foreign schools that are approved by the AVMA. You can use the following page to see a country-specific list of such accredited schools. If a school is not on this list, be aware that the Department of Public Health might not accept it even if you are able to pass the licensing exam.

There are 2 exam options. You can either take the NAVLE or both the NBE and CCT in Veterinary Medicine. If you took one of these tests before December of 1992, the passing score is one standard deviation below the national mean. After that, the test administrator’s reported passing score is used.

There is a $565 application fee for Connecticut veterinarians. Here is the application form:

There are some schools that offer veterinary technology programs in Connecticut even though the state does not require a license. These are associate degree programs for the most part. A small number of universities in the United States offer a vet tech bachelor’s degree. But those are usually not required even in states that require a license. Middlesex Community College, Northwest Connecticut Community College, and Norwalk Community College have Associate of Science degree programs in veterinary technology. These are accredited by the AVMA. So if you move to a state that requires a license, that licensing agency would probably accept these degree programs.

Although not required in Connecticut, keep in mind that vet techs in states that require a license usually make you take and pass a licensing exam. This is usually the Veterinary Technician National Examination, or VTNE. You might or might not have to take this test if you move to a state with a license program.

Comments And Updates