How to Get a Bachelor, Graduate, Or Certified Social Worker License In Alabama

Alabama has 3 kinds of licenses for social workers, depending on the level of education and experience. As of 2014, there were about 5000 social workers in Alabama, with about 1500 of them having the highest level of license. That is a certified social worker. The first level is a bachelor social worker, and there were about 2000 of those. The middle level is a graduate social worker, and there were about 1500 of them.

A bachelor social worker applicant needs only a bachelor’s degree in social work. There is no experience requirement. A graduate social worker applicant needs a master’s degree or doctoral degree in social work, with no experience requirement. A certified social worker must also have a master’s degree or doctorate, plus two years of supervised work experience under a certified social worker.

Note: A degree must be accredited or at least in a candidate status to be accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The page below has a list of accredited programs:

At the time of this writing, there were 20 accredited social work programs in Alabama. So there is no shortage of educational opportunities in this state for aspiring social workers.

But in addition to the college educational requirements, all applicants must pass an Association of Social Work Boards Examination. There is a different test for each level. Make sure you take the correct test. There are 4 different tests given by the Association, and the Alabama board can tell you which one to take if you are confused at the time you receive authorization to take the test.

The licensing agency is the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners. They are located in Montgomery, at 100 North Union Street, Suite 736. The phone number is 334-242-5860. And the website is

The Board has online and paper applications once you are ready to register for a test or apply for a license. Here is the page for these social worker applications:

After the Board approves your application, you can then apply with the Association of Social Work Boards to take the test. These exams are given on a year-round basis. So you just register and then take the test a few days or weeks later.

Comments And Updates