How to Get a Speech-Language Pathologist Or Assistant License In Alaska

Alaska has licenses for both speech-language pathologists and speech-language pathologist assistants. The issuing agency is the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing.

Speech-Language Pathologist License Requirements

You must be at least 18 years old for this category of license. The primary requirement that involves substantial time and effort is earning the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competency. This ASHA program, in addition to education in the speech-language pathology field, requires a one-year internship. All the ASHA certification requirements can be found here:

During the internship, you may obtain a temporary license.

The nonrefundable application fee is $50, and the $25 fee for the license is one of the cheapest of all Alaska professional licenses.

Use the following application form:

Speech-Language Pathology Assistant License Requirements

I see no age requirement in the materials. The fees are the same as above. Assistants do not have to have ASHA certification. But they one of two degrees:

1. bachelor degree in speech-language pathology, or
2. associate of applied science degree in disabilities with a speech-language support emphasis.

On 2. above, the Division lists the program taught at the University of Alaska – Anchorage in affiliation with Prince William Sound Community College.

While no year-long internship is required, 100 hours of supervised work in the field is mandatory for the speech-language pathologist assistant license.

Here is the assistant license application form:

Renewal application forms for these licenses can be found here:

Comments And Updates