How to Get a Real Estate Broker Or Associate Broker License In Alaska

Alaska has a 2-tier system for licensed real estate brokers. The higher level is the real estate broker, and the lower level is the real estate associate broker. Naturally, the associate has lesser requirements.

Both levels of licensees must pass the real estate broker exam. Both categories also do not provide a license to someone under indictment for felonies or fraud-type charges. If the applicant was previously convicted of such charges, 7 years must have passed since the completion of the sentence. Also, both brokers and associate brokers must have 15 hours of approved real estate education.

There are some difference between the requirements for these licenses. I will list the additional requirements for each category below.

Real Estate Broker

1. In the 3 years before the application date, the applicant must have 2 consistent years of licensed experience.

2. A broker must be at least 21 years old.

3. A broker must either be the business owner or an employee of a business organization (corporation, LLC, or partnership).

Real Estate Associate Broker

1. Associates also need 2 years of continuous experience in selling real estate. But unlike regular brokers, the experience could be at any time before the application, and it could be when the applicant did not have a license.

Fees for these Alaska real estate broker licenses are about $600. There is a separate office of about $300 for whoever owns the office.

You can get application forms and other information from the Real Estate Commission:

Alaska License Requirements for a Psychologist Or Psychological Associate

Alaska has 2 main psychology-type licenses. The top level is for psychologists, and the lower level is for psychological associates. Some states may use the term “psychological technician,” and this is similar to an associate in qualifications.

To get a psychologist degree in Alaska is difficult because you must have a doctorate. In addition, you must have a year of post-doc experience. A national licensing exam and state exam must be passed before you can get your license.

Becoming a psychological associate is less difficult. But it still requires a master’s degree. Also, you must have two years of supervised experience. If your supervisor is a licensed psychologist, then his or her recommendation is sufficient for the recommendation requirement. Otherwise, you will need the recommendation of 2 licensed psychologists. Note that a temporary license should be obtained before the 2-year supervision period begins. Candidates then need to take and pass the exams, and they can then finally start their supervised experience.

Exam Info:

Whether you are obtaining a full psychologist or associate license, you actually take the same two tests. The first is the EPPP, which is the Examination for Professional Practice In Psychology. Here is the Candidate Bulletin:

The second test is the State Law and Ethics Examination. Read the page below to get more information on that, including the schedule:

Here are the pages with the Alaska psychologist and psychological associate application forms:

How to Get Licensed As a Process Server In Alaska

Alaska process servers are licensed by the Permit and Licensing Unit of the Department of Public Safety’s Division of Statewide Services. There were about 100 licensees in 2013.

The Unit requires initial and biannual license fees of $25, plus a fingerprinting fee of about $51.50.

Applicants must be at least 21 and a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident. You must also be an Alaska resident for the 30 days before your application for a license.

Process servers must not have any mental or emotional disorders that would make it difficult to do the job. You also must be deemed to have good moral character. An Alaska business license is required, and you also need a bond for $15,000. Finally, there is an Alaska process server exam.

Process server exam content areas can be found in 13 AAC 67.100. You can see that Alaska regulation in this document:

13 AAC 67.100 does not give actual exam references, expect for certain Alaska statutes and regulations. So it would be best to talk to a currently licensed process server in Alaska to get tips on how to prepare for the exam. Alternatively, ask the licensing agency what they recommend. But they might not have specific reference lists.

You need to contact the Permits and Licensing Office to get an application. Contact details and other application information can be found on the page above. You can also just call (907) 269-0393.

How to Acquire an Alaska Podiatry License

The State Medical Board licenses podiatrists (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, or DPM) in Alaska. Applicants need to meet educational, exam, and residency requirements.

First, an applicant must graduate from an accredited school of podiatry. A one-year internship should be included in the program.

The exam that is required is the PMLEXIS. But there is also an APMLE. You’ll need to check with the Board to see what is the currently acceptable test, and the PMLEXIS, at the time of this writing, is Part III of the APMLE. Ask if you also have to pass Parts I and II, as there seem to be some active changes going on in testing for professional podiatrists. The APMLE Candidate Bulletins are here, including the Part III PMLEXIS:

Along with graduating and passing the licensing exam, a candidate must complete a hospital-based surgical residency that lasts one year.

Initial fees are about $500 to get a license. Then, there is a renewal every 2 years of $300 for an active license, or smaller amounts for inactive or retired licenses.

If you have questions from the State Medical Board, call (907) 465-2756 if your last name begins with A to K. Otherwise, call (907) 269-2541.


Alaska Podiatry License Application Form

Podiatry License Renewal Application Form

Physician Assistant Certification (License) In Alaska

As of 2013, there were about 600 certified physician assistants in Alaska. They are licensed by the Alaska State Medical Board.

A candidate for this license must first graduate from an accredited physician assistant program. They then must pass a certification exam. The one Alaska requires is the PANCE exam, which is the Physician Assistant National Certification Examination:

According to the PANCE creator, which is the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), you need to first graduate from a program that is approved by them. And the accrediting agency is the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. In 2016, there were about 200 accredited programs throughout the country. You can see the current list here:

In some cases, you may have graduated from a program that was accredited at the time, but is not anymore. You would still be eligible if your college physician assistant program was accredited at the time.

You will need to stay certified by NCCPA to renew your Alaska physician assistant certification.

The other requirement to practice in this state is a Collaborative Plan with a licensed Alaska physician.

As of 2016, the PANCE exam fee is $475. Initial application, license, and collaborative relationship fees are about $450 (in addition to the exam).

The forms below are the initial application form, the renewal application form, and the collaborative plan form:

Alaska Pharmacy Technician License Requirements

Alaska has a fairly simplified procedure to get a license as a pharmacy technician. There are no education or experience or testing requirements for an initial license. However, you must be at least 18, have a high school diploma, and be fluent in English, including speaking, reading, and writing. Certain felonies or other crimes could disqualify you from getting a pharmacy technician license, as well. If you have held any previous professional license, any adverse decisions against you, such as revocation, might or might not be used as grounds to deny you a pharmacy technician license.

You can download the application form here:

The Board of Pharmacy issues this license, and they require you to pay an application fee of $60 and a second fee for the license, which is also $60. So you pay $120 up front when applying, and the $60 application fee is not refundable.

You must renew your license on June 30 of even-numbered years, unless you got your license within 90 days before an expiration date.

Oddly, although you don’t have initial education requirements, you do have to have continuing education to renew a license every 2 years. You need 10 credits hours in classes approved by either the Alaska Pharmacists Association, the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board, or the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education.

Alaska Pharmacy Intern Requirements And License Procedures

In between graduating from pharmacy school and becoming a fully licensed pharmacist in Alaska, you must complete an internship. There is a specific order in which you need to do things to avoid wasting time in this pre-licensing process.

First, you need to get an Alaska pharmacy intern license. This is not the regular license, which has a completely different application form. This is the proper form for interns:

If you are doing an internship in Alaska, you need to fill out this form and get licensed before you begin. There is also a $90 fee.

You must have completed at least the 3rd year of a 5- or 6-year pharmacy program if you are applying as an intern before graduation.

When you apply for this license, you will receive a jurisprudence questionnaire. You must complete this open-book test at home and return it to get your license.

If you have an internship while still in school, you can complete up to 1000 of the 1500 total required hours in this education internship. So the other 500 would have to come after graduation. If you don’t have an internship in college, then you need the full 1500 internship hours after graduation. After you complete your internship and take and pass your NAPLEX and MSPE exams, you can get licensed as a pharmacist in Alaska.

You and your supervisor need to complete the Intern Affidavit of Experience upon completion of your internship:

Getting Licensed As a Pharmacist In Alaska

In 2014, there were approximately 4,000 licensed pharmacists in Alaska. Requirements include education, an internship, and licensing exams. The licensing agency is the Alaska Board of Pharmacy.

Applicants for this job must first graduate from an accredited college of pharmacy. The program needs to be accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education.

If it is foreign college, it should be recognized by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC).

In Alaska, you must complete 1500 hours of a pharmacy internship.

There are both national licensing/certification exams and a jurisprudence exam. These are the NAPLEX and the MPJE. The tests are given through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy. Find out more about the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination here:

And get more on the NAPLEX (North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination) here:

Based on 2014 fees, the initial fees for the application, license, and jurisprudence exam are $470. But you would have to pay an additional fee for national testing.

You need to get a license (registration) as an intern BEFORE you start your internship. Here is the form for that:

Fees are $90 to become an intern. That is separate and apart from the license fees mentioned above.

Once you are ready to get your regular Alaska pharmacist license, then you use this form:

Alaska Pesticide Applicator License (Certification) Requirements

The Alaska Pesticide Control Program has some 14 categories of certifications for pesticide applicators. Each certification is $25, as of 2016. And these licenses are good for 3 years.

Anyone who uses or supervises the use of pesticides for a consumer must be certified. But even those who just consult or provide information must also get a certification. As to restricted-use pesticides, users, supervisors, buyers, and sellers must all be certified. Those who use or supervise users of pesticides at a school or public place must also get licensed.

All applicants must be at least 18 years old and pass a certified applicator exam. Finally, proof of insurance is also required.

There is a page on the Pesticide Control Program website that shows the 14 categories of certifications and also study references for each of the 14 certification tests. You can see that page here:

Do not forget the Core Manuals and Alaska pesticide regulations, which are listed in about the middle of the page. These apply to all 14 tests. You then look at the individual categories for additional test-specific references.

Here is the list of required certifications. You can see an explanation for each category by using the page above:

1. regulatory pest control
2. demonstration and research pest control
3. private agricultural pest control
4. ornamental and turf pest control
5. anti-fouling paint
6. aquatic pest control
7. industrial, institutional, structural, and health-related pest control
8. public health pest control
9. right-of-way pest control
10. mosquito and biting fly pest control
11. aerial pest control
12. forest pest control
13. wood preservatives
14. restricted-use pesticide dealer

To get a pesticide applicator certification in Alaska, prepare for your exam first and then go to the following page and arrange a test at an extension office:

Getting an Alaska Pawnbroker License

Starting in 2011, Alaska began to require a license for pawnbrokers. Applicants need some education or experience, and a background check is also required.

Not all pawnshop employees are required to get a license. But each shop must have a licensed pawnbroker who supervises all employees engaged in transacting deals with the public.

A license applicant must either have at least a 2-year college degree or have at least 6 months of work experience in one of the following: inventory maintenance, financial transactions, or buying and selling goods.

There is no pawnbroker board. This license type is issued by the Division of Corporations, Business, and Professional Licensing. Their phone number is (907) 465-2695.

Fees are steep. There is a one-time application fee of $200 and a biannual license fee of $800.

Current and prospective pawnbroker licensees should be very familiar and abide by the relevant statutes and regulations. You can see those here:

The application form for an initial license is here:

Each time you are ready to renew a license, you use the biennial renewal form here:

The criminal justice information report (background check) must be obtained from the Alaska State Troopers. Contact information for the nearest station can be found in the application packet. You must get a background check from your own state if you are an out-of-state resident.