How to Become a Licensed General, Specialty, Residential, Or Commercial Contractor In Arizona

There are dozens of different kinds of contractor licenses in Arizona. They are regulated by the Arizona Registrar of Contractors. The two main categories are residential and commercial. Within those, there are general commercial, general residential, specialty commercial, and specialty residential contract types.

Almost all classifications of contractors in Arizona must have a certain amount of work experience and a passing score on one or more exams. The possible exams are as follows: Business Management Exam, Trade Exam, Solar Exam, and Arizona Department of Water Resources Trade Exam.

All Arizona contractor licenses require you to take the Business Management Exam. And most, but not all, require a trade exam. The solar and water exams are only for certain specialties.

No formal education is required for Arizona contractor licenses.

The work experience required for a general or specialty contractor license (both commercial and residential) ranges from no time to 4 years. But all but one category, which is Minor Home Improvements, requires at least some experience. Note that work as a trainee or low-level employee generally does not count. The time counts if you were a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee, or contractor.

Use the page below and the requirements chart to determine how many years of experience you need and what kinds of tests you have to take for the specific Arizona contractor license that you aim to obtain.

PSI has an “Arizona Registrar of Contractors Residential and Commercial Contractor License Examinations Candidate Information Bulletin.” You can use that to help you prepare for the tests, including getting content outlines and a list of references.

Take and pass the exams before you complete and submit your contractor application.

Before you can get a license, you may also have to pay a surety bond. This ranges from about $2500 to about $100,000. This depends on the volume of work you expect to do in the fiscal year. Look up the amount here.

If you have satisfied all requirements, then you can access an application packet using the page below, along with instructions and related forms.

Arizona Insurance License Requirements for a Utilization Review Agent

A utilization review agent is a person who reviews medical records and health treatment options to determine whether a procedure is medically necessary and appropriate. Some, but not all, utilization review agents must be licensed in Arizona.

The primary rule is that agents must be licensed for fully insured commercial business. Those who review only Medicare or Medicaid cases (or both) need not be licensed. An example of another situation not requiring licensing is a self-funded or self-insured employee benefit plan that is preempted by ERISA.

Some people conduct internal reviews that do not have the force of approving or denying coverage. These workers don’t have to be licensed if that is all they do.

Also, those who review only cases covered by the Arizona workers’ comp laws need not get a license.

If you think that you have to register because your work does not fit any of the exceptions mentioned above, then the Department of Insurance instructs to call them for further input on how to register. Call the Life and Health Division at 602-364-2393.

Arizona Insurance License For Third Party Administrators (Life or Health Administrators)

In Arizona, certain activities fall under the heading of third party administration when they involve collecting money or processing claims for life or health insurance. If your activities apply, then you must register for a license with the Arizona Department of Insurance.

To determine whether you are required to get this license, you need to thoroughly read through ARS Section 20-485. This will tell you whether you are a life or health administrator by Arizona law.

If you determine that you are covered by the statute, you need to be incorporated or organized by filing with the Arizona Corporation Commission. You will then also be registering with the Department of Insurance.

To help you work through all the filing mess, the Department has a chart that shows the application process plus some other things, such as annual filing requirements. You can view that document here.

The original application fee is around $200, and so is the annual report. Note that requirements to be a third party administrator are more stringent than to just be an insurance salesperson (agent/producer). You’ll need to post a bond and have a financial statement, etc. Only well-funded companies will have the resources to become a third party administrator.

There could be other requirements for property and casualty insurance adjusting, motor vehicle service contracts, and administration of workers compensation claims. See the following page for notes if you intend to be involved in any of these activities. Also, the page below has links to the third party administrator application form.

Arizona Insurance Bail Recovery Agent (Bounty Hunter) License Requirements

A bail recovery agent is another name for a bounty hunter. Bail bond agents may use a civilian recovery agent to apprehend a person who received bail but did not show up in court. This is allowed in Arizona without an actual license. But some individuals may not act as a bounty hunter.

The primary rule is that a person who has ever been convicted of theft or any crime (felony or misdemeanor) involving the illegal possession or use of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

An agent may not go after a defendant unless he has written authorization from a licensed bail bond agent.

Bounty hunters may not enter a residence without permission from the people in the house at the time the entry is requested.

Agents are also forbidden from wearing anything that makes them look like a police officer or any other government agent. But they can identify themselves as a bounty hunter.

Bail recovery agents don’t have other requirements, but the bail bond agents have reporting requirements. For one, they have to submit a written report, which is on Form L-BRA, within 24 hours of hiring a bounty hunter. And this is for every case, not just the first case.

Finally, bail bond agents must send an annual report of all activity that year. Use the Department of Insurance’s Form L-BBAR for this purpose.

You can find L-BRA and L-BBAR on the Department licensing forms page.

Arizona Title Insurance Agent License Qualifications

Arizona does not have many requirements to get a title insurance agent license. For example, no licensing exams or classes are required. But there are some special rules that must be followed.

An individual cannot get a title agent license in Arizona. If you want a title agency, you will need to register as a domestic stock corporation or limited liability company.

After you have incorporated or set up your LLC, you then need to use Form L-176 to apply for a license from the Department of Insurance.

The fee is $120 for the license, and it expires in 4 years. Certain people with the company must submit fingerprints, and they are $22 per person. But taking the fingerprints is done with a police agency or some private companies. These fees are also typically around $20.

Another rule is that all applicants must have a letter of authorization that shows an agreement with an Arizona insurance company to offer that company’s insurance services.

The other stickler rule is title-agent names. Rules for things you cannot do when picking your name can be found in Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) Section 20-1583 (a).

Arizona Insurance Licenses For Rating Organizations And Rate Service Organizations

A rate service organization assists insurance companies in analyzing the profits and losses on rates and may make recommendations on future insurance rates. In Arizona, a rate service organization refers to a person or company who services multiple insurance companies, not a single one.

A rating organization analyzes rates and creates a rating system based on the type of insurance. Multiple insurance companies can be members of the organization.

Both rating organizations and rate service organizations must be licensed to operate in Arizona. This applies to individuals, business organizations, residents, and nonresidents.


Rating organizations apply with Form RO31010. Rate service organizations apply using Form RSO30110. You can find download links for these Arizona insurance license forms on the Department of Insurance’s forms page.

There are no tests or classes required to get either one of these licenses.

Arizona Life Settlement Broker Insurance License Requirements

A life settlement broker is essentially someone who helps negotiate the sale of a person’s life insurance policy to a third party. The hope is for the owner of the policy to make some money on the sale or at least recoup some of the amount paid on the policy. But it is for less than the death value so the buyer can also presumably make a profit.

To be a life settlement broker in Arizona, you first must be a licensed life insurance producer. If you do not yet have that license, then be aware that you will have to taken and pass an exam to get this. You also have to pass a background check.

Now, assume you are currently licensed as a life insurance agent. You decide you want to do some life settlement brokering. You can actually start without filing other paperwork. But within 30 days after beginning, you need to file Form L-LSB with the Arizona Department of Insurance. So there are no additional licensing requirements or exams except for the additional paperwork.

However, there is an extra fee. If your current license expires in 2 years or more in the future, the fee is $500. It it expires in less than 2 years after the date of the LSB form, then the fee is $250. So if you are near the cutoff point for the reduced fee, then it is best to wait a few days to save a little money.

You can find the form on the page below.

Arizona Insurance Licenses For Health Insurance Exchange Navigator And Certified Application Counselor

Arizona has a couple of license categories related to the Affordable Care Act or related legislation. One is a health insurance certified application counselor. The other is a health insurance exchange navigator.

Applicants for these licenses use Form L-NAV. Note that you will need to receive a federal exchange navigator or certified application counselor training certificate from the federal government before getting an Arizona license. The top part of the form listed below (L-NAV form) has information on how to get this training.

There are two exceptions to getting a training certificate that will still allow you to get an Arizona license. Maybe the easiest way to get this is to get the accident and health or sickness insurance producer license, which is also issued by the Department of Insurance. You can also act as a counselor if you work on tribal land and had to undergo a full background check for federal service before being employed.

The only fee at the time I am posting this is a $22 fee for fingerprints. Whoever does your fingerprints for you, though, will charge a separate fee. That is usually about the same cost. It’s possible that the Arizona Department of Insurance will add some kind of licensing fee in the future.

There is no state exam for these Obamacare-related licenses. But expect to be tested as part of your federal certification.

Arizona Insurance Licenses For Rental Car, Self-Service Storage, Travel Insurance Producer, And Portable Electronics Vendor (Limited-Lines Insurance)

In this article, I am talking about just 4 of the many types of Arizona insurance agent and similar licenses. To see information on the others, you can click on “Arizona insurance license” in the list of tags below this article.

Rental car agent, self-service storage agent, travel insurance producer, and portable electronics vendor are the 4 of the easier categories to qualify for licensing in Arizona. First, there are no licensing exams for any of these categories.

If you want, you can apply online at for a license. But if you want to use a paper form, these 4 categories do not use the normal Form L-169 application. They use Form L-LTD. This stands for “limited-line insurance license.”

Note that the rules on which form to use change at times. You will need a copy of the current forms. In some cases, you might have to use Form L-169 if you are an individual (not business organization). Actually, this is a good reason to just go ahead and apply through NIPR if your desired license category is currently part of their licensing system. But as a general rule, both individuals and organizations use Form L-LTD for rental car agents, travel insurance producer, portable electronics vendor, and self-service storage agent. But on the form valid until June 2015, said that individuals seeking a license for self-service storage agent are supposed to use 169. But you need to check the current forms for possible changes.

As of the time of writing, the fee is $120 to apply for any of these Arizona insurance licenses.

Requirements For An Arizona License For Insurance Adjusters And Portable Electronics Insurance Adjusters

Although Arizona has 2 adjuster-type insurance licenses, they are quite different in their requirements. Use the following to determine the Department of Insurance requirements for insurance adjusters and portable electronics insurance adjusters.

An insurance adjuster who is a resident must take an exam and submit fingerprints. A nonresident insurance adjuster who is licensed in another state does not need to take the exam or submit fingerprints to get a nonresident adjuster license. But the problem is that the exam and fingerprints are required if the nonresident’s home state does not have a licensing scheme for insurance adjusters.

Portable electronics insurance adjusters do not have an exam even if they are residents. But you must be an insurance adjuster to get this license. If you are a licensed nonresident adjuster, then you can also be a portable electronics insurance adjuster in Arizona by getting a nonresident adjuster license.

Now, assume you are from a state that does not license adjusters. In that case, you must specifically apply for a license to adjust portable electronics insurance. If you are from Canada and have an adjuster license there that allows you to deal in portable electronics adjusting, then you must get licensed in Arizona as a portable electronics insurance adjuster.

If you have to take the insurance adjuster exam, then use Prometric’s information book for test takers:

After all tests have been passed, then you can use Form L-169 to apply for your license. Alternatively, you can do it online at