Requirements To Get an Arkansas Water System Treatment Operator License

The Arkansas Department of Health has a licensing program for water system treatment operators that is administered through the Engineering Section. There are 4 levels of licenses for treatment operators. They are referred to as Grades I, II, III, and IV. Refer to my other article if you are looking for the standards and requirements for water distribution operators, which have similar but different requirements.

The requirements for each grade include a mandatory training course, an exam, and experience in some cases. A Grade I treatment license requires 6 months of experience. Grade II is 1 year, Grade III is 2 years, and Grade IV is 3 years.

The grade of license you need depends on several factors. It is rather complicated. But I will summarize the situations below.

Grade I applies with chemical addition but not advanced treatment. And this applies when the population is up to 9999, and you are not a supervisor.

Grade II applies when the following conditions exist:

1. There is chemical addition, the population is up to 9999, and you are a supervisor;
2. There is advanced treatment, the population is up to 9999, and you are not a supervisor.

Grade III applies if the following conditions exist:

1. There is chemical addition, the population is 10,000 to 49,999, and you are a supervisor;
2. There is chemical addition, the population is at least 50,000, and you are not a supervisor;
3. There is advanced treatment, the population is 3300 to 9999, and you are a supervisor;
4. There is advanced treatment, the population is 10,000 or greater, and yo are not a supervisor.

Grade IV is for supervisors only. And one of the following must apply to the licensee’s work:

1. There is chemical addition, and the population is at least 50,000;
2. There is advanced treatment, and the population is at least 10,000.

Examples of advanced treatment include aerators, clarifiers, filters, and sedimentation basins.

Application forms and training and exam schedules can be obtained online. Check out the following page for those resources. Look in the Water Operator Certification section.

When You Must Get an Arkansas Water System Distribution Operator License

The Arkansas Department of Health’s Engineering Section has two kinds of water system operator licensing schemes. There are water distribution operators and water treatment operators. This article discusses distribution operator licensing. Use the tags below to find the water system treatment operator licensing article.

There are 5 grades of licenses for Arkansas water distribution operators – Very Small System, Grade I, Grade II, Grade III, and Grade IV. You will have to attend a training that lasts from between 40 and 96 hours before qualifying to take a licensing test in each grade.

But before you can take a test and get licensed, you may need experience. The first grade does not require experience. But Grade IV has a 3-year requirement, which is the most of any of the grades. You may train and take the exam before you have the required work experience. If you pass, you will be an operator-in-training for that grade until you accumulate the requisite experience required for that grade’s license.

When you apply for a license, the Engineering Section will send you a study packet. So you can get ready. But be aware that this is a closed-book test. So you may not use any references when you sit for the exam.

The Very Small System license is when you have no more than one pressure plane and a population not larger than 499.

Grade I is required if you have more than one pressure plane and a population not greater than 499. But if you have one pressure plane and a population greater than 3299, then Grade I is also required.

Grade II applies in the following situations:

1. You have one pressure plane, a population greater than 3299, and you are a supervisor;
2. You have one pressure plane, a population greater than 9999, and you are not a supervisor;
3. You have more than one pressure plane, a population greater than 499, and you are a supervisor.
3. You have more than one pressure plane, a population greater than 3299, and you are not a supervisor.

Grade III applies as follows:

1. You have more than one pressure plane, a population greater than 3299, and you are a supervisor;
2. You have more than one pressure plane, a population greater than 9999, and you are not a supervisor;
3. You have one pressure plane, a population greater than 9999, and you are a supervisor; or
4. You have one pressure plane, a population greater than 49999, and you are not a supervisor.

And Grade IV is required if any of the following conditions exist:

1. You have one pressure plane, a population greater than 49999, and you are a supervisor;
2. You have more than one pressure plane, a population greater than 9999, and you are a supervisor.

You can get application forms and information on exams and training courses at the Arkansas Department of Health website.

Arkansas Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator License Qualifications

Each wastewater treatment plant, including government-owned municipal plants, must have at least one licensed operator. The state has its own Wastewater Operator Licensing Program. This is a very large program. According to a search that I did in May of 2016, there were 4131 active licensees in the system. That included all levels. You can actually do your own search below if you want to check up on someone’s license status.

There are 4 classes of operators (I, II, III, an IV) for municipal wastewater treatment plants. But for private outfits, there are 2 levels – Basic and Advanced. I mentioned over 4000 licensees above. But it should be clarified that the actual number of people is somewhat lower than that. The reason for this is a person can get licensed for both private and municipal plants at the same time. And such a person is listed twice in the database because he or she has two licenses.

There is a training course and an exam for each wastewater treatment plant operator level. The Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality approves courses and administers the exams in various locations throughout the state. You can use the page listed below to find an upcoming operator course and test schedule. There are some online training courses for those who prefer a self-study type of situation or who can’t make a live class. There are some additional courses, as well. Examples are Treatment of Poultry Wastewater, Advanced Activated Sludge, and Safety at Wastewater Plants.

The typical fee for the application and exam is $40, with a $40 renewal fee once every 2 years. Both municipal and industrial license categories have an apprentice license. This is only $10. The apprentice license is for total beginners who have never been licensed. So it does not apply to higher levels of licensing. And it only lasts for 6 months, allowing you to work and get ready for certification testing during that time.

The main licensing page has sections for each type of license. And the sections include application forms.

Note that higher classes of licenses on the municipal side require work experience. But the Class I and Basic and Advanced licenses do not require experience.

Getting Arkansas Waste Tire Permits (Collection Center, Processing Facility, And Monofill Disposal Facility)

Arkansas has license program for waste tire transporters and a number of permits for recycling-related facility owners. In this article, I will talk about the 3 permits. They are for collection centers, processing facilities, and monofill disposal facilities.

A collection center doesn’t really do anything besides accept and store them until they are transported for recycling or disposal purposes. This considered a general permit under the rules of the Solid Waste Management Division of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality. It is the cheapest permit offered, and it’s only $25.

At $100, a processing facility is a little more expensive. You need this permit if you cut up waste tires or alter them in some other way for recycling or disposal. If you do more than 500 tires in 30 days, then you will need what they call an “individual permit” for processing facilities. If you always do less 50 in a 30-day period, then you get a “general permit.” Do not confuse this with the “general permit” mentioned above for collection centers. That is different.

A monofill disposal facility is a Class 3T landfill. Be aware that all monofill disposal facilities in Arkansas must follow the rules in the Code of Federal Regulations that pertain to this kind of landfill. You can read the appropriate CFR section using the page below.

Disposal facility fees are very expensive. They are $2000 for the pre-site fee, $5000 for the application, $3000 for annual maintenance, $1000 for a permit transfer, and $2000 for a capacity increase, major modification, or minor modification. There is also a post-closure fee of $500.

Applications for these Arkansas waste tire permits can be found online at the Division’s website. If you look at the page listed below, you can find individual sections for the collection center, processing facility, and disposal facility permits and related application forms.

How to Obtain an Arkansas Waste Tire Transporter License

In Arkansas, state law requires a license for anyone who transports 25 tires from one place to another. It doesn’t matter what kind of tires they are as long as they are considered waste product. In other words, this does not refer to brand new tires being sent to stores for sales to regular car owners. This program is for waste products.

Waste tire transporters are licensed by the Arkansas Department Of Environmental Quality Solid Waste Management Division. Companies or individuals who need to contact a transporter for services can use the Division’s directory of licensees. Select “Both” for the license type, “Current” for existing license holders, and leave everything else blank to get the statewide list.

To get a license as a waste tire transported, you must provide your personal or company information plus info on the vehicle that will be used for transporting the tires.

The waste tire permits and licensing page on the Division’s website has a link to the application. You can find it by clicking on the section entitled “New Waste Tire Transporter License Requirements And Forms.” You also must fill out a disclosure statement. And a copy of that can be downloaded from this same section.

You might not get a license if you have any civil action against you in the last 10 years that is related to environmental protection. Revocation or suspension of a license in the past or other negative administrative enforcement actions could be a problem.

The person who will drive must have a driver’s license. In this case, that usually means a commercial driver’s license. And the vehicle or vehicles must have liability insurance.

The form also requires you to disclose who is having you pick tires and who is accepting the tires. It is best to submit info on any new clients to the Division if you get new clients after you receive your license.

Fees vary for a waste tire transporter license. As of 2016, a small company with like only one or two vehicles would generally pay $35 per vehicle. This includes $10 for a decal. But there is a fleet license that is $250. So a large company might pay less than $35 per vehicle. And fleet license holders don’t have to buy decals for all their vehicles.

How to Get an Arkansas Veterinary Technician License

Arkansas licenses veterinary technicians through the State of Arkansas Veterinary Medical Examining Board. As of 2011, there were about 100 vet techs in the state. Both education and an exam are required to get a license.

There is no minimum age requirement at the time of this post. But applicants must be a citizen or applying for citizenship at the time of application. There is also a general requirement of good moral and ethical character. You will also need a letter of recommendation from a currently licensed veterinarian.

The American Veterinary Medical Association has a list of college degree programs for veterinarian technicians. These are generally 2-year programs. So it is like getting an associate degree. As of May 2016, there were 2 Arkansas schools offering this program. They were Arkansas State University – Beebe and Heritage College – Little Rock. You can see the full list using the page below.

The Board requires applicants to obtain a passing score on the Veterinary Technician National Examination. Starting in 2016 (July), this test will be administered at PSI exam centers. AAVSB is the actual administrator for this licensing exam. The home page for the test is at As of 2016, the fee is $310. It will also be helpful to refer to the Candidate Handbook to get an idea on how to prepare for the test and for registration information. Previously, the VTNE was only given twice a year. It is now administered 3 times a year.

The Veterinary Medical Examining Board charges $40 for an application and $25 per year to renew. To get an Arkansas vet tech license application, you can call the Board at 501-224-2836.

Veterinarian License Requirements In Arkansas

Doctors of veterinary medicine are licensed in Arkansas by the Veterinary Medical Examining Board. This is a doctorate-level profession. And there are also some exam requirements to determine whether applicants are prepared for the profession. There are approximately 900 actively licensed vets in this state. A study in 2012 found that they were averaging about $80,000 in annual income.

In Arkansas, only US citizens or lawful residents can be a vet. And all applicants must be at least 21 years of age. Moral and ethical character are also considered in the application process since vets work on live animals.

Applicants must have a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Foreign degrees are acceptable if the program of study is certified by the ECFVG.

There are two licensing exams for Arkansas veterinarian candidates. The most challenging one is the nationally administered exam, which is the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination. It tests whether you actually have the knowledge to be a vet. The other test is on Arkansas law. This one is to make sure applicants under the local rules they have to follow when practicing in this state.

Note: If you took the National Board Exam and Clinical Competency Test before the NAVLE became the standard test, then you can submit those scores. The State Board Exam is administered by the Arkansas Board.

There is also a separate Poultry Specialty Exam. The Board has an application fee of $100, plus $100 more if you take the Poultry Specialty Exam. But the NAVLE is more expensive. It is $550, at least as of 2016. If you want a temporary permit before completing the national exam, then the fee is $50.

Contact the Board for an application if you don’t have one yet.

AR Veterinary Board
P.O. Box 8505
Little Rock, AR 72215

Visit the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners website to get application information for the NAVLE exam. You can also take a practice test there and get preparation tips.

Arkansas Underground Storage Tank Licensing (Company, Contractor, And Individual)

The Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality Regulated Storage Tanks Division provides 3 kinds of licenses related to underground storage tanks. There are company, contractor, and individual license programs.

Contractors are authorized to install, repair, upgrade, and close tanks. Companies are authorized to test the tanks. This usually refers to tightness testing. Individuals can be licensed for either one of the categories (either testing or the other activities).

Fees are about $300 for companies and contractors and $150 for individuals.

Individuals need at least one year of experience in the 3 years preceding the application date. They also have to pass a test for the activities for which they seek a license. Individual testers must also submit information from the underground storage tank manufacturer. That consists of proof of training or at least proof of proficiency in the testing method. And there must be an attestation that the testing method complies with federal requirements.

Since individuals can be just employees, they do not have to have a surety bond. But contractors and companies must have a bond in the amount of $25,000. These licensees must also hire an individual to do the actual work.

There is an additional somewhat arbitrary requirement of contractors and companies. At least one office, owner, partner, or manager must have passed the first part of the individual license exam. But one way to easily meet this requirement is to make the licensed individual a manager or officer.

Note: Even companies that contract the job out to a third party must still have a license.

The page listed below has the Arkansas underground storage tank application forms for contractors/companies and individuals. Just click on the appropriate sections, and they will open up and show links to all the forms.

Exams are administered at the Division’s Little Rock office, at 5301 Northshore Drive. On the page listed above, you can see which references to study for the test. And the current exam schedule should be listed there. It is usually once a month.

How To Get Arkansas Tow Truck Safety Licenses And Permits (Consent, Non-Consent, And Vehicle Immobilization)

There are 3 main kind of licenses or permits in Arkansas that are applicable to tow trucks and tow safety. These are consent towing, nonconsent towing, and vehicle immobilization.

Consent towing is when the owner of the vehicle gives permission for the wrecker to tow it. Nonconsent is when the owner has not given permission, such as abandoned or otherwise unattended vehicles. This could be repossessions, confiscations, and the like. Vehicle immobilization is not really towing. That is when someone puts a clamp on a vehicle’s wheel so no one can drive it away.

Applicants get their license/permit from the State of Arkansas Towing & Recovery Board.

All tow trucks should be inspected, and that is done in Arkansas by a law enforcement officer. So ask the local police or Sheriff’s Office about that.

You will need to talk to an insurance company about insurance that is specific to operating a tow truck. It is different than insurance on your personal car and typically more expensive. But that’s just one of the costs of this particular business.

A tow safety license goes to the applicant, and there is only one per applicant. But tow vehicle safety permits are required for every wrecker. So applicants with multiple vehicles will need more than one permit. As of May 2016, there is a $150 license fee and $75 fee per vehicle permit. The vehicle immobilization fee was not made public at the time of this post. Rather, the Board says to call them to get what you owe for that.

The State of Arkansas Towing And Recovery Board phone number is (501) 682-3801. You can also go by the office to turn in paperwork. Their address is 7418 North Hills Boulevard, in Little Rock. Forms can be downloaded online from the following page.

How to Become a Professional Land Surveyor or Licensed Intern In Arkansas

In Arkansas, the Arkansas State Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Professional Surveyors has 2 kinds of licenses for land surveyors. Surveyor interns can work under the supervision of a licensed professional surveyor after a certain amount of education or experience. Those with even more education and experience can become a fully licensed professional land surveyor.

Those seeking licensing as an intern should either get an associate degree in surveying or a bachelor’s degree that has at least 9 total hours in surveying with 3 in Principles and Practice of Boundary Location. But those with at least 4 years of experience do not need to meet either of these educational requirements.

Note that all of these intern applicants, regardless of how they qualify, must first pass an exam, which is the Fundamentals of Surveying.

Starting in 2017, an applicant can become an intern by getting one of the following: 1) a B.S. degree in Surveying, Geomatics, Geomatics Engineering,or Spatial Information Systems (minor or emphasis in surveying; 2) Associate of Science degree in Surveying or Surveying Technology; 3) Associate of Applied Science degree in Surveying or Surveying Technology; or 4) bachelor’s degree with at least 30 hours of surveying courses.
For the 4th option, there are very detailed course requirements for the core general courses. You can find them from a link on the regulations page of the Board’s website. Alternatively, it could be an ABET-accredited engineering degree.

Under the rules starting in 2017, the Fundamentals exam is still required.

Under the 2017 rules, an applicant can become a professional surveyor by doing one of the following: 1) one of the bachelor’s degrees described above plus 3 years of experience; 2) one of the associate degrees described above plus 6 years of experience.

Where 3 years are required, there must be at least 1 year each of field and office work related to boundaries. And it’s at least 2 years each if the applicant is required to complete 6 total years.

Under both options, candidates must pass the Fundamentals exam, the Professional Surveyor exam, and a state surveyor exam. 5 references are also required, including 3 from professional surveyors.

Instructions on how to apply to be either a surveyor intern or professional surveyor can be found on the Arkansas Board’s website. Look at the menu of available disciplines to select the proper license (the engineering applications are also here).

Go to the NCEES Exams page and use the FS and PS links to get specific information on the tests. And you can contact the Board or ask your supervisor to learn how to prepare for the state exam for professional surveyors.