How to Become a Commissioned Arkansas State Police Trooper

Arkansas has a state-level police agency with approximately 600 commissioned troopers. There are several requirements to join the Arkansas State Police. Both performance-based and medical conditions apply.

All applicants must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age. High school or GED completion is also required. And because police are on the road constantly, you must have a driver’s license. Naturally, you must also complete a background check. And felonies and domestic violence convictions will generally disqualify you from joining the Arkansas State Police.

Even those who are otherwise qualified will have to pass a physical and meet certain mental fitness requirements. This includes a vision test, psychological testing, and a polygraph exam. Your eyesight can be 20/100 uncorrected, but it must be 20/20 with corrective lenses. Also, any tattoos visible even if in uniform are a disqualifying factor. But it is possible to apply if you are willing to remove such tattoos.

The Arkansas State Police also have a written test.

All applicants must pass through the Academy (Arkansas Law Enforcement Certification) before they can get hired. And an interview will be conducted in person.

The State Police do ask other things, such as what drugs you have taken and how much. The above are considered the minimum qualifications, and you still may be chosen or denied for training based upon whatever factors ASP deems appropriate for hiring purposes.

You can find an application form on the Trooper Recruiting page of the Arkansas State Police website. There are no fees.

Note that the Arkansas State Police do also hire about 300 non-commissioned civilians. You can find job openings on their website.

Arkansas Requirements For a Professional Soil Classifier License (And Classifier-In-Training)

Professional soil classifiers help to classify soil to determine its suitability for various uses, such as farming. This occupation is licensed by the Arkansas State Board of Registration For Professional Soil Classifiers. They also have a beginner category called the “soil classifier-in-training.”

The Board maintains a roster of active licensees in the soil classification field. However, it was last updated back on 2011. And there were 35 licensees on the list at that time.

A fully licensed soil classifier must pass an exam and meet 1 of several different options that combine education and experience. An applicant could be a graduate of an approved program with a soils curriculum plus one year of experience. These applicants must be a classifier-in-training.

If the applicant is not a soil classifier-in-training or the program is not approved by the Board, then 2 years of experience is required. But the applicant must still graduate from a soils curriculum program.

Anyone with a classifier-in-training certificate who has 1 year of experience can apply for a full license. In this and all other cases listed above, the Board has the final say in determining whether the applicant is ready to be licensed. Also, applicants still must pass the exam.

There is one other way, which is to already be licensed in another state. And in this situation, no exam is required if the Board deems the person to already be qualified.

To become a classifier-in-training, a graduate of a program with a soils curriculum that passes a test on the fundamentals of soil classification can get the certificate as long as the program is approved by the Board. If it is a program not approved by the Board, the applicant must have 1 year of experience and also pass the same exam described above.

In addition to the Fundamentals exam, professional soil classifier applicants must pass the Principles and Practice of Soil Classifying exam.

The Board will tell applicants when and where to take the exam or exams. There is no public schedule.

Applications can be downloaded at the Arkansas State Board of Registration For Professional Soil Classifiers website. They are at

How to Become a Social Worker In Arkansas (Licensed, Licensed Certified, And Licensed Master)

There are 3 levels of social workers in Arkansas. The entry level is the licensed social worker. The middle level is “licensed master,” and the top level is the licensed certified social worker. Each license has an increasing level of educational, testing, or other qualifications. The granting agency is the Arkansas Social Work Licensing Board.

Due to close work with a variety of clients in vulnerable situations, Arkansas law requires all social workers to pass a background check. This includes the beginning license level and goes up to masters.

At a minimum, applicants need a bachelor’s degree in social science. A licensed master social worker must have a master’s degree. The licensed certified also needs at least a master’s degree. There is no doctoral requirement for this top level.

A licensed social worker can begin without work experience. Actually, a licensed master social worker also does not have to have any particular work experience. Having the master’s degree is enough. But to become a licensed certified social worker, an applicant must get 4000 hours of supervised experience after obtaining the master’s degree. Time before the degree does not count even if it is years of work. And this work must be supervised by someone who is a licensed certified social worker.

Arkansas requires each level of licensee to pass an ASWB social work exam. The first level is the Bachelors Exam, and the second is the Masters Exam. ASWB has a couple at the top level. For Arkansas, the Social Work Licensing Board requires you to pass the Clinical Exam to become a licensed certified social worker. is the website for the test administrator.

Fees for all levels are about $230 for the exam ($260 for the Clinical Exam) and $100 for the application and license. Arkansas social workers must renew every 2 years. And all levels must pay about $80 for that renewal.

Use the following page to apply for a license. Your background check forms will be sent to you after you apply.

Arkansas Onsite Wastewater Systems Monitoring Personnel License Procedures

Arkansas law has a system of required monitoring for holding tanks, drip dispersal systems, and certain wastewater systems. Septic tanks typically fall under this rule. To maintain the monitoring system, the Arkansas Department of Health licenses (registers) monitoring personnel. The homeowner where a tank is located may not act as the monitoring person.

The Division of Environmental Health administers the registration procedure for this system. Requirements to become a licensed Arkansas onsite wastewater monitoring person include annual training and a yearly $50 registration fee. Also, an exam must be taken and passed before someone can become a monitoring person.

Renewal and the applicable fee are due by March 1. The fee increases by 50 percent (to $75 at the time of this article) if the registrant does not pay on time. But if monitoring personnel do not renew by December 31, then they have to apply for registration and take the exam again.


All Arkansas septic systems monitoring personnel should take care to be familiar with and follow all rules and regulations pertaining to this field. There is a copy online, and you can use the page below to access that copy.

The Division of Environmental Health keeps registrants and applicants up to date with its Training and Examinations page. Go there to find out when and where to get training and when and where to take the licensing exam. As of the time of this writing, monitoring personnel training and testing were scheduled to be done at the Arkansas Rural Water Association, in Lonoke. The location may change in the future. Just use the page listed below for updates.

Arkansas Licensing For Septic Tank Manufacturers

Septic tank manufacturers must be registered with the Arkansas Department of Health’s Division of Environmental Health. As of May 2016, there were about 30 registered manufacturers. This includes several from out of state, as well. So if you are promoting the sale of septic tanks in Arkansas, you need to register even if you are an out-of-state manufacturer.

You can actually see a full list of these septic tank manufacturers using the page below. This may not be totally up to date, as it periodically updated.

In Arkansas, installers, cleaners, designated representatives, and some other personnel must take regular training and also pass a test in order to get licensed. This is not so with manufacturers, who are simply selling the product that these other specialists will be installing, fixing, etc.

Of course, manufacturers should be building septic tanks based on industry standards. But there is no test or anything that must be completed in order to sell this product. However, Arkansas does require an annual inspection. The rules say that an inspection is sufficient if completed by a National Pre-Cast Concrete Association Onsite Wastewater Certified Program Representative. Whether other inspections will be deemed sufficient is up to the Division.

So while there are no rigorous requirements to register as a manufacturer, there are some Arkansas rules and regulations pertaining to septic tanks that must be followed. And you can see a copy of those rules and regulations by using the pages below. The first one is for septic cleaning. The second one is for onsite wastewater.

There is a $100 yearly manufacturer fee. And it is due each year by July 1. Contact the Division at 501-661-2171 to get a license application form.

Septic Tank Cleaner License Requirements In Arkansas

A septic tank cleaner in Arkansas can clean septic tanks and also transport that sewage that is removed from the tank. Cleaners must be licensed by the Division of Environmental Health, which is part of the Arkansas Department of Health. Note that the Division also uses the term “onsite wastewater system cleaner.” And the word “pumper” is also used since a pump is utilized to clean septic tanks.

As of May 2016, the cleaners were scheduled to receive their training and also take their tests in Lonoke, Arkansas. The program provider is the Arkansas Rural Water Association. And their address is 240 Dee Dee Lane. Of course, the training provider and test location could change in the future. To keep track of any changes, you can use the following page, which is the onsite wastewater training and exams page of the Division of Environmental Health.

The person running the septic cleaning business must pay $25 per vehicle per year. The registration expires on July 1 each year. So the $25 per vehicle will be due again at that time. And vehicle inspection reports must be submitted with the application.

Septic tank cleaner license holders should be fully aware of the Arkansas rules and regulations applicable to this field. They can be found on the following page.

To get a copy of the application form for onsite wastewater system cleaners, call the Arkansas Division of Environmental Health. Their phone number is 501-661-2171.

How to Become a Licensed Septic Tank Installer In Arkansas

Septic tank installers, who are also referred to as “onsite wasterwater system installers,” are licensed in Arkansas by the Department of Health’s Division of Environmental Health. In addition to installation, registered installers may alter and repair septic tanks.

There is an initial and ongoing licensing fee of $100. The renewal date is January 1. There is a 50 percent penalty if you do not renew by March 1. If you fail to renew the whole year, be aware that you will have to take the test again to get registered.

Rules and regulations do not clearly lay out the qualifications for a septic tank installer. However, there is an exam, which is one way that the Division will determine whether you are qualified.

The Division of Environmental Health has a running list of training sessions for septic tank installers. As of the time of this writing, all the training is provided by the Arkansas Rural Water Association, with upcoming classes being held in Lonoke. Use the page listed below to view the current schedule.

As of May 2016, the onsite wastewater system installer exams were also being held in Lonoke. View the page above to see when you can take the test. If a current schedule is not provided, then contact the Division of Environmental Health or the Arkansas Rural Water Association if they are still conducting the licensing exams.

Contact the Division of Environmental Health to get a septic tank installer application form. Their number is 501-661-2171. The $100 fee is payable to the Arkansas Department of Health.

Arkansas Licensing For a Septic Systems Designer And Sewage Disposal Systems Designated Representative

A septic systems designer or sewage disposal systems designated representative are authorized by the Arkansas Department of Health to design, test, and inspect sewage disposal systems. Another commonly used phrase is “onsite wastewater systems.” There are about 150 of these licensed individuals in the state.

The way most people get this license is that they already have a specialty in a related area. Examples include sanitarian, professional engineer, professional land surveyor, and master plumber.

There are 2 other ways in which you can become a designated representative. One is to have a bachelor’s degree with at least 30 hours in natural science or math. The other way is to have 3 years of experience. But the experience should be in septic systems design. And it should be affirmed by an environmental health specialist or a designated representative.

Note that just because you can apply based on the above does not necessarily mean you will obtain a license. The Division of Environmental Health also wants to know what kind of experience you have. Someone with just a college degree and no experience at all might be denied.

The Division of Environmental Health, which is part of the Department of Health, also requires ongoing training for you to be licensed as a sewage disposal systems designated representative or septic systems designer. The training course must be approved by the Department of Health. So you can always contact them if you want a list of currently available approved training courses. However, they do have a page online with existing training programs.

There is also an exam that you must pass before getting your license. The page above has more information on the test. There is no fixed location for the test site. So you will have to check back on the page above to determine where to go to take the test, which is only given about once per quarter.

Below, you will see a page that leads to a copy of the designated representative application form.

Arkansas Sanitarian License Qualifications

Sanitarians are experts in public health and sanitary standards and problem solving. This includes waste treatment, but it also extends to areas such as food processing, swimming pools, body piercing, and insect control. This job is licensed in Arkansas by the Arkansas State Board of Registered Professional Sanitarians.

You must be a US citizen and of good moral character to get licensed as a sanitarian.

When it comes to educational requirements, the clearest path to qualification is to get a degree in public health with a specialization in sanitary sciences. This could be either a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree. The other way is to have a year of experience or special training in the sanitation field plus a bachelor’s degree in one of the following subjects: math, earth, geology, physics, chemistry, engineering or biology. But as part of that degree, you must have at least 30 semester hours in these natural-science/math subjects. This does not mean you must complete 30 hours in a single subject. It means a total of 30 hours among the subjects.

There is also a sanitarian licensing exam in Arkansas. See below for more on that.

The fees are only about $30 the first to apply to become an Arkansas sanitarian ($20 for the application and $10 to actually register if you pass the test). You then pay around $20 annually to keep your license current. Every 2 years, licensees must obtain 20 contact hours of continuing education.

Note that the Board only meets on the 4th Friday in January, April, July, and October. And you need to have your registration application turned in at least 30 days before that.

The State Board gives you a basic idea of what to expect on the sanitarian exam plus references. Look at their study guide for this information.

When you are ready to take the test and register as an Arkansas sanitarian, then you can access the application form online.

Obtaining An Arkansas Real Estate Salesperson License

A real estate salesperson is generally an employee of a real estate broker. In Arkansas, the salesperson must be supervised by a broker. So to run an independent business, a salesperson would have to go through the extra steps to become a broker. But the procedure is to get licensed as a salesperson first because you have to be licensed for some time before you are allowed to move up to the broker level. In 2013, there were close to 5000 licensees in this category.

Salespersons must be at least 18 in Arkansas. And they must take a total of 60 hours of classroom training in real estate. Half of the 60 hours must be in Basic Principles of Real Estate.

The Arkansas Real Estate Commission has a list of approved education providers and programs. You can see the link below. On this page, you want to look for programs that have “Sales Pre-License” listed among their offerings. “Sales Post-License” refers to continuing education, and those classes would not qualify. Ask individual schools whether they can provide you the full 60 hours.

Arkansas also has a real estate salesperson licensing exam. And you will also have to pass a background check at the federal and state level.

Applicants should use the exam application in the Pearson VUE Candidate Handbook. As of May 2016, you need to pay a total of $88.50, which includes a $50 application fee. The rest is for the background check. For this, a cashier’s check or money order should be made out to AREC. But there is a separate $75 exam fee that is paid to Pearson. You can pay that one by credit card or other forms of payment, as per the instructions in the Candidate Handbook.

The Candidate Handbook also has information on how to prepare for the exam and what sort of content you should expect to see on it.