How To Become a Licensed California Nursing Home Administrator

There are many different paths to becoming a nursing home administrator in California. Ultimately, though, a series of tests must be passed before you can receive a license from the Department of Public Health.

Assuming you qualify with one of the acceptable combinations of education and experience, you will have to pass 2 exams. One is the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards national exam. The other is the state test administered by the California Nursing Home Administrator Program. The passing score for a California license is 75 percent for both tests (you can’t average the tests to achieve this, as they are totally separate).

Generally speaking, there are 4 different ways to qualify for the license exams. The more education you have, the less experience you need. In some cases, you will eventually qualify by completing an AIT program, which is a nursing home administrator in training.

You don’t need separate experience if you have a master’s degree in nursing home administration. However, this program must include an internship of at least 480 hours in a skilled nursing facility or intermediate care facility.

If you only have a bachelor’s degree, then you can qualify for the tests by completing a 1000-hour AIT training program. You can also qualify via AIT training if you are a registered nurse with 10 years of full-time work experience. This does not exactly mean administrator experience, as 5 of the years can be regular nursing work. However, 5 of the 10 years must be in a supervisor or director role in nursing.

The last way to qualify is more complicated. You need to do the 1000-hour AIT training. But in addition to that, you need 10 years of work experience in a skilled nursing facility, an intermediate care facility, or an intermediate care facility for the developmentally disabled. The work can be in any department. But 5 of the 10 years must be as a department manager. Finally, to utilize this qualification route, you need at least 60 college credit hours.

If you fail either of the tests 3 times, you must receive training from a preceptor before you can try to test again for a California nursing home administrator license.

Be aware that you must pass a criminal background check to participate in an AIT program. There is a separate application for these training programs.

The Department of Public Health has a forms page for nursing home administrators. You can find both AIT and regular administrator license application forms on this page, as well as registration forms for both the national and state exams.

How To Get a California Radiologic Technologist Fluoroscopy Permit

A radiologic technologist fluoroscopy permit is issued in California by the Department of Public Health. Many people first get a license (certificate) as a radiologic technologist and then add this permit. Technically, though, it is not required to be certified first in the general radiologic technology category. There are other ways to get this license.

One way to qualify for the exam is to attend a fluoroscopy school that is approved by the Department. You can find these all throughout the state, and there were 24 of them at the time of this post. They are listed, along with addresses and telephone numbers, on the page posted below.

Now, to help you narrow down which schools you might like to attend, the Department has the test pass-fail rate for the most recent years, broken down by school.

If you are not currently licensed as a California diagnostic radiologic technologist, you must apply to be one at the same time you apply for the permit. Also, you must have ARRT radiography certification if you are applying for diagnostic rad tech certification and the fluoroscopy permit at the same time.

ARRT requires you to complete training and take their own exam to be certified through them as a radiographer. Note that you should attend a school that is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology. Most of the programs approved by the Department in California are also accredited by JRCERT. You can run a search for these schools using the second page listed below. Select “Radiography” for the type of program because those are the diagnostic radiologic technology programs.

After you have qualified for all schooling and ARRT certification, if applicable, then you submit the fluoroscopy permit application and wait for the Department to respond. They might tell you to submit more documentation. But if they approve your application, you will receive instructions on how to take the exam. And you will have about one year to take this test and pass it to get your permit.

There is an $88 application fee for the fluoroscopy permit, the application for which is below (first page). If you are applying for the diagnostic radiologic technician license at the same time, that would be an additional $88. Use the second page to find that application form.

California Limited Permit X-Ray Technician Qualifications (Includes Bone Densitometry)

California has several permits for limited permit X-ray technicians. The things you get authorized for depend on the type of training that you have received. Bone densitometry is one of these categories. But it is the only one that requires a separate application form. The others use the same form, which is the first page below. The form for bone densitometry is on the 2nd page.

Both of these permit applications have an $88 fee. Double that and use both forms if you have studied for and are applying for both. Also, if you apply for multiple categories in addition to Radiation Protection (Core), then it’s an additional $88 for each extra category.

I am going to list the various kinds of licenses that are available when submitting the general limited permit X-ray technician application: dental laboratory radiography permit, radiation protection (core), and four additional radiography permits, including chest, extremities, torso-skeletal, skull, and leg-podiatric.

Each of these limited X-ray permits requires completion of a training school. The Department of Public Health approves these educational programs. At the time of this post, only one California school does the dental lab training, and only 2 do bone densitometry. A few more than that do the chest and other body-part radiography training.

All of these permit categories have an exam. If you want to know how students of the approved schools fare on the tests, you can see the pass-fail rates by looking at the following page. To be honest, none of the schools seems to have a super high pass rate. It’s not clear what the reason is for that. Either the test is hard, or the student pool is not made up of so many high-level test takers. However, it appears that well more than half of the students pass their tests.

The way the limited permit X-ray technician application process works, is that you first apply after graduating from your course. If all goes well, you will receive information on taking the applicable X-ray technology exam. And you will have one year to pass it from the time you receive notice. If there is any paperwork you forgot to submit and additional documentation that the Department wants, you will have 30 days to get it to them. If you don’t meet that deadline, you may have to apply and pay the fee all over again.

There is no work experience requirement to get one of these X-ray permits in California.

California License For A Nuclear Medicine Technologist

Nuclear medicine technologists receive a license in California from the Department of Public Health. Unlike most licenses, the qualifications are kind of ambiguous. But I will give as many highlights as possible in this article.

The Department prefers that you are nationally certified in nuclear medicine technology. If you take a test to get national certification, then you don’t have to take the California state exam.

The Department looks to see if you are certified by ARRT or NMTCB. These were the only two listed certification agencies at the time of this post, in July of 2016. More could be added later. So check the application form to see if there are any additions.

ARRT is the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. They have a Primary Pathway in Nuclear Medicine Technology. This requires an educational program and degree. And you must also meet didactic and clinical competency requirements. You must also be of good moral character, so a background check is required. And ARRT also has a nuclear medicine technology exam. Note that you must have completed your educational program in the past 3 years.

NMTCB is the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board. You get certified through this outfit by taking a CNMT exam, which provides the designation of Certified Nuclear Medicine Technologist. Starting on January 1, 2017, you must first graduate from a school before taking the exam. And the school’s program must be accredited by either the Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology or the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists. You can find links listing these accredited programs by using the page below. Although they are accepted now, programs at an accredited college or university will not be accepted after January 1, 2017, unless they are also accredited by one of the 2 organizations listed above. The second page below will give you exam application instructions.

California’s application process also requires you to document various kinds of education, lab experience, clinical experience, and equipment used. An accredited program likely will give you the clinical experience and training necessary to get a nuclear medicine technologist license in California. However, I would check with the school first to make sure the program provides sufficient clinical training and opportunities (practicums and the like) to qualify for a California license.

As of the time of this post, there is a $180 application fee, and it is nonrefundable. That is another reason it may be better to get nationally certified first and then apply for your license. Otherwise, you must apply first and then take the state exam.

Radiologic Technologist Licensing In California (Including Mammography)

The California Department of Public Health has a radiologic technology licensing program that includes 3 main licenses (not including nuclear medicine and limited permit X-ray technicians). These include diagnostic radiologic technicians, therapeutic radiologic technicians, and mammographic radiologic technology.

The diagnostic and therapeutic licenses are separate. Some people study for both. But these are separate courses and certification exams. So you can’t really get both at the same time. Diagnostic radiologic technology is the bigger field.

Mammographic radiologic technician licenses are for those who first get the California diagnostic rad tech certificate. So it’s no a stand-alone kind of license or certification. It’s something you add to an existing license.

The first thing you need to do is attend and complete a training school. Most of the California approved rad tech degree programs are at community colleges, junior colleges, city colleges, or universities. Both diagnostic and therapeutic programs can be found on the page posted below. Phone numbers are provided for your convenience.

To help you choose, the Department releases a list of schools with passing rates of its students. You will see that some schools do very well on a consistent basis, while others are not as good.

If you are nationally certified by ARRT in either for either diagnostic or therapeutic radiologic technology, then you can apply right away without taking the state exam. But if you are not certified, then you must take the applicable state test to get a license.

When it comes to mammography, California requires you to take the ARRT exam for mammography radiologic technicians. Remember that you must first have the diagnostic rad tech license. So to add this, you must be certified twice or take two tests in all.

All of these licenses have an $88 application fee, as of July 2016. The mammography form is the first page below. The diagnostic and therapeutic rad tech certifications use the same form, which is the second page below. If you are applying for both, you must also pay twice.

To learn more about ARRT certification, you can visit the website of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. This organization has its own exam for certification that is taken after completing your California-approved training program. So one way or the other, you will have to take some test to get licensed in California as a radiologic technician.

License Requirements in California For a Certified Hemodialysis Technician

Hemodialysis technicians are certified in California by the Department of Public Health’s Aide and Technician Certification Section. Both training and testing are required for this medical certification.

Apart from training requirements, all applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Next, you must complete a training program that is approved by the California Department of Health. The Department maintains a list of existing approved programs.

Alternatively, click on “Certified Hemodialysis Training Programs” on the page posted below. This may be what you have to do since the link above may become obsolete.

The training programs are conducted at actual hemodialysis clinics or hemodialysis units of clinics or medical centers that may provide other services. A registered nurse usually conducts these training programs. Community or corporate training programs are also approved in some cases. Before receiving credit for course completion, you will be tested by the clinic or other training program on your knowledge and skills.

Separately from any program evaluations, you must take a standardized hemodialysis technician certification exam.

The California Department of Health approves hemodialysis technician testing vendors (providers) on an individual basis. At the time of this post, there were 3 national certification exams approved for California certification. At the state level, the California Dialysis Council had been approved. The national organizations with an approved test were the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission, the Board of Nephrology Examiners For Nursing and Technology, and the National Nephrology Certification Organization. Use the page below to see the current list of approved testing vendors.

You should submit your license application after completing all training and passing one of the certification exams.

30 hours of in-service training or continuing education is required to renew your certification as a California hemodialysis technician. This training can be in either dialysis care or general health care. The renewal application form is different than the initial application. Certificates of completion must be submitted with the application for renewal. As of the time of this writing, your license must be renewed every 4 years. No fee was mentioned on either application form.

Certified Nurse Assistant (Aide) And Home Health Aide Qualifications In California

California has a certification process for both nurse assistants and home health aides. Because the requirements are quite similar and even use the same application form, I am including them in the same article.

Both certified nurse assistants and home health aides must attend an approved training program. CNA programs are typically at either schools or education centers or actual nursing homes or other medical facilities. The California Department of Public Health maintains two different lists of approved CNA programs. The first one below shows the schools you can attend. The second one shows the medical facilities. However, the lists are updated on a periodic basis. If the links below do not work, then look at the third page and drill down the Certification section to find the link to approved training schools.

Contact schools and facilities on the list to see if they also have a home health aide training program or combine it with nurse aide training. However, there is also a separate list of approved HHA training programs.

California law does not require an exam for nurse assistant and home health aide licensing. However, the application form says that you may have to take a competency evaluation. Also, a training program may test you before granting a completion certificate.

A criminal background check is required of all applicants. Convictions may or may not prevent certification. A review of any criminal record is done on a case-by-case basis.

As of the time of this writing, there is no fee to apply for either of these certifications.

Students in a nursing program or licensed nurses or psychiatric technicians do not have to complete a CNA or HHA course. But they must pass a competency evaluation. Information on that is provided after you submit your application. If you are still a student, you must have completed enough training that it is considered the equivalent of CNA or HHA training. This must include Fundamentals of Nursing. Also, if you graduated more than 2 years ago from a nursing program, then you have to have worked at some time during the 2 years before the application date.

If you already have a CNA license in another state, you can get one in California by reciprocity. But if you were certified more than 2 years ago, you must have some experience in the past 2 years. No training or exam is required if you qualify for a reciprocal license. This must be an active license in good standing in another U.S. state.

California Law License Qualifications

California is pretty unique in ways of qualifying for a law license. It actually provides a larger number of ways to get a license. However, a big hurdle is that the the bar exam is very competitive. So while there are many ways to qualify for the exam, it’s not going to be easy for everyone to pass since there is a tough cut-off rate for licensing.

It is still probably best to graduate from an ABA-approved law school. But California also permits you to graduate from any other school approved by the State Bar or complete 4 years of study at an unaccredited school. There is also a special program that allows you to work for 4 years with a licensed attorney or judge. If you use this route, the attorney must be licensed in California and practicing for at least the 5 years preceding the start of your training.

Be aware that you are supposed to register with the State Bar within 90 days after starting a program of legal studies. And you are generally required to finish 2 years of undergrad college studies. Most applicants will not be accepted into an accredited law school without this, anyway. But some unaccredited schools may allow it. You must be at least 18 to get a California law license.

Some individuals must pass the First Year Law Student’s Examination. These are individuals who are attending an unaccredited school or who are working with a judge or lawyer (law office/judge’s chambers program). But if you are at a state or ABA-approved school, you are usually exempt from this test. The exception is if you had not completed two years of undergraduate study.

As far as tests go, you must pass both the MPRE and the California Bar Examination. The passing MPRE score is at least 86, which is the scaled score. This passing score differs from state to state. The California bar exam is not standardized in the same say since it is not a national test. So there is no set passing score. The MBE is national, but that is only the multiple-choice part of the California bar exam, which also has essay questions and performance tests.

A background check for moral character and fitness is the other requirement for this license.

Some out-of-state lawyers want to move to California. They may have to take the California bar. But they can take the Attorney’ Examination if they have practiced as a licensed attorney for 4 years in the other state.

The July 2015 California Bar Exam had an overall pass rate of 46.6 percent. The First-Year Law Student Exam had a low 25 percent in October of 2015. The Attorneys’ Exam had a 34.9 percent rate in the July 2015 administration.

Use the Office of Admissions Online Applications page to register for a California law license. This page has related applications for registration after beginning studies, registration for the bar exam, etc.

California Plumbing Contractor License Requirements

In California, the only plumber’s license is for a plumbing contractor. And whether you need this depends on the exact type of work that you are doing. However, even maintenance of waste-disposal systems is covered by the rule. So even a handyman could fall under this rule.

You must get a plumbing contractor license if any of your projects hits at least $500. And that does include both labor and materials. So if you are a handyman who does not want to get licensed for independent work, then make sure all of your jobs are less than $500. Basically anyone can work for a licensed plumbing contractor without needing a license. Of course, the exception is if you are the actual qualifying individual for a company. In that case, the company gets the license. But you must meed the education and exam requirements for the company to qualify for that license.

The law states that plumbers installing or working on the following types of equipment or activities may need a license (if the $500 threshold is met): on-site waste disposal systems, removal of waste, gas and liquid piping, storage tanks, and venting, gas appliances, flues, and other gas connections, water and gas piping from meter to building, and hot water heaters (and other fluids). Forced warm air units are not included in the plumbing classification.

The law also mentions health and safety devices and gives some examples of what they mean by this. The examples are backflow preventers, water conditioning equipment, gas earthquake valves, regulators, and gas control valves. Installation is only one activity that is covered. Maintenance, repair, and replacement are also included.

If you engage in any of these plumbing activities, then you will have to pay $480 to take a test and get your license to be an independent contractor. The plumbing contractor exam and the law and business exam must both be passed. Individual applicants must have a $15,000 contractor surety bond. It can be more for certain companies. And that number can be found in the applicable application packet.

The exam is not enough to get licensed. You first need 4 years of journey-level experience. One common route to get this is a plumber apprenticeship. Educational or trade-school-type courses can also be taken. But for any method you choose, make sure you have a plan for getting at least 1 year of practical experience, as that is the minimum.

Applications for individuals and companies (LLC, partnership, and corporation) can be found on the Forms and Applications page.

Getting An HVAC And Refrigeration Contractor License In California

Most states have some form of HVAC license, which is heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. Refrigeration is sometimes added to this, and you may see the acronym HVAC/R to refer to this combination of contractor specialties.

In California, you would need to get 2 separate contractor licenses for HVAC and refrigeration. The Contractors State License Board has a stand-alone classification for Refrigeration, which is C-38. The other classification is Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning, which is C-20. So C-20 is basically the same as an HVAC license. Both of these are considered to be specialty licenses.

Refrigeration licenses are for those who work with refrigerators, refrigerated rooms, temperature insulation, insulated refrigerated spaces, AC units, blowers, ducts, registers, and thermostats. HVAC is for heating systems and pumps for warm water, ventilating systems with blowers and plenum chambers, AC units, and related ducts, thermostats, etc. So there is some overlap with Refrigeration and Ventilating Systems.

I will assume here that you want both of these licenses. But that is certainly not required and may not even be possible, depending on your training and experience. However, if you can apply for both, you will save a little money on the second classification. The first one will run you at about $480. And the second classification is $75. These are 2016 fees, and they are subject to change.

So if you want HVAC or refrigeration but not both, then just use one original contractor license application.

If you are going for both, use one original application and one for an additional classification.

Each classification requires a combination of 4 years of education and experience. An apprenticeship would suffice, but you need at least a year of practical experience.

HVAC has its own license exam, and so does Refrigeration. But California also requires all applicants to pass the Law and Business exam.

Test study guides are located online. Click on the appropriate links on the page posted below. The content outlines provided are not really that detailed. But specific references are provided. And these are what you can use to study for the exams.