Colorado EMS Certification Requirements For EMT, Advanced EMT, and Paramedic

Colorado requires individuals working in emergency medical services to get certified at the state level. This requirement applies to emergency medical technicians (EMT), advanced EMTs, the EMT Intermediate category, and paramedics. Unfortunately for people moving to Colorado, they do not have certification by endorsement. All applicants must be at least 18, and they must be a citizen or legally present in the United States.

Colorado uses a site called for licensing application purposes. If you are not currently certified, then create a new account in the system. Some people who are already certified have had an account created for them. You can see the instructions for this on the login page.

The Department of Public Health and Environment has a Health Facilities and Emergency Medical Services Division that handles this certification program. They maintain a list of EMT and paramedic training centers throughout the state. To take your required EMS training, you should check the listings and look for an X in the Center column for the license you are seeking (EMT, Advanced EMT, EMT Intermediate, or Paramedic).

The term “Center” means that that training site has initial courses for students who are not currently certified. The term “Group” is for continuing education, and many places providing CE and refresher courses do not provide the longer initial course. However, some provide both. The term “IV therapy” refers to training for existing licensees. Such training allows you to become an emergency medical technician with IV authorization. So that is also not relevant to newbies training for their first license. A CPR course is also required. EMT-I and paramedics must take an advanced cardiac life support course.

After getting training for one of the EMT categories or paramedic, you also need to take a written and practical exam through NREMT, which is the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Despite its name, NREMT does also apply to paramedics. You will take their paramedic test instead of any of the EMT exams.

Before getting a license in Colorado, you will also have to pass a background check, which includes submission of fingerprints.

Paramedics can also get a critical care endorsement. This requires you to be both an NREMT member and a BCCTCP member. That is the Board For Critical Care Transport Paramedic Certification.

Colorado EMS certificates are good for 3 years. You will need to take a refresher course and renew your certification at that time. Ensure that you take a refresher course before your certification lapses.

Getting a Colorado License (Certification) For Water And Wastewater Facility Operators

The Colorado Department of Health and Environment has a Water and Wastewater Facility Operators Certification Board. This board provides licensing to certain individuals. Requirements usually include experience and a certification exam, and education might also be included. Rule 100 has the license qualifications for Colorado water and wastewater facility operators.

Wastewater systems are classified based on the population served and related factors. I will not go into this, as it is highly complicated. Just be aware that the exam you do need is based on operation of the classification for which you are applying. However, any experience on a water or wastewater system generally counts even if it is on a different system than the one for which you are applying. This is kind of a lax rule. However, you cannot immediately skip to higher levels any time you want. You have to already be certified at lower levels in some cases before moving up.

Tests are based on a category and level of the facility. 70 percent is the passing score for all tests, according to Rule 100.9.2. Any required education and experience must be obtained before taking the certification exam.

Generally, you must have a high school diploma or GED. But it is possible to qualify for a water or wastewater operator certification without it. However, you must have an additional 6 months of experience and complete a separate training course.

Class T requires no prior certification or experience. Classes D, S, and 1 require 1 month of experience and no prior certification. Class C requires 2 years and a Class D or S certification. Class 2 requires 2 years and a Class 1 or S certification.

Class B requires 3 years of experience and Class C certification. Class 3 requires 3 years and a Class 2 certification.

Class A requires 4 years and Class B certification. And Class 4 requires 4 years and Class 3 certification.

An approved training course can sometimes replace actual experience. Ask your employer about this possibility.

After you are qualified based on education and experience, you apply with the Certification Board. They will give you the time and place of your exam.

If approved by the Board, 15 college credit hours replaces 6 months of experience, while 30 credit hours is a year of experience. 300 contact hours of training is 4 months of experience. However, you must take relevant classes, such as engineering, and the total can be only up to 50 percent of the experience requirement. Despite that, non-relevant college classes can substitute for 25 percent of the required total. Due to the 50-percent rule, that means at least 50 percent of the experience required must be through actual on-site work.

Call the Board if you need water and wastewater facility operator exam and certification forms. Their number is 303-692-3463.

How To Prepare For And Take Colorado Pest Control License Exams

The Colorado Department of Agriculture has some pest control and pesticide licensing exams that must be taken for certain state licenses. These apply to qualified supervisors and certified operators. The difference between the two licenses is that qualified supervisors generally need experience, the amount of which varies by category. A general exam is required of all applicants. Then, each applicant takes one or more category exams, of which there are more than 20.

One way to help prepare for these tests is to just get a job with a licensed pesticide applicator. These applicator companies are allowed to hire unlicensed technicians. They are also required to train these technicians. So you can get some amount of technical knowledge and hands-on experience through a technician job. In fact, the Department of Agriculture states that some questions on the exams are from common knowledge you would learn on the job, not necessarily from a book.

Likely, not all technicians would be able to fully prepare for Colorado pest control exams exclusively through company training. So it is recommended that you put in at least some self-study if you want to take a test to become a certified operator or qualified supervisor.

The Colorado State University Extension Store website has a number of pesticide guides.

These guides are not free. For example, the application and safety guide for ornamental pest control is $25.

Be aware that both qualified supervisor and certified operator license applicants must also take a general exam in addition to any applicable category exams. The study guide for the general exam is also $25.

I ran through the various books in July of 2016, and I discovered that almost all of the books are priced the same as those mentioned above. A few were $30, and a small number were only $6 or $15.

There are some additional test-prep references listed in the Department of Agriculture’s licensing and exam booklet. Look on Page 10, Section C. This section has traditional text and reference books.

There is a page on the Department of Agriculture’s website with specific instructions on how to register online to take the Colorado pest control tests. As of the time of this post, the fees are about $31 per exam. Although you register online, these are not online tests. You must show up and take exams at a physical location.

Colorado Pest Control Licenses For Qualified Supervisor And Certified Operator

The Colorado Department of Agriculture requires an applicator license for most companies that do pest control. However, those are basically just company licenses. Each company must have at least one qualified supervisor. And larger companies can also have certified operators, as each applicator is generally only required to have one qualified supervisor.

Both certified operators and qualified supervisors must qualify for a license. Requirements are intended to ensure that companies engaging in pesticide and pest control work have personnel with the knowledge and skills to safely handle the job.

Qualified supervisors are authorized to devise pest-control plans plus do the actual work of preparing, applying and operating pesticides or devices. They also sell applicator services.

Certified operators are allowed to apply restricted use pesticides. They do not have to have a qualified supervisor on scene to do the work. However, a certified operator cannot act as a qualified supervisor for an applicator.

Qualified supervisors must pass a general exam plus all exams for the pesticide work for which he or she is expected to act as a QS. There are many different agricultural, ornamental, and structural pesticide categories. For example, Category 301 is a structural pest control license for Wood Destroying Organism Pest Control. Since there are over 20 categories, I will not list them all here. But you can see them all on Page 2 of the following document.

QCs also have some experience requirements. For most agricultural categories, 8 months of field experience in the last 5 years are required. With applicable college credit, the amount may be reduced, but not by much. 2 years reduces it to 2 months, and 1 year reduces it to 5 months.

For turf pest control, which is an ornamental category, the general rule is 4 months of field experience in the past 2 years. 2 years of college credit can reduce that to 1 month, and 1 year can reduce it to 10 weeks.

For Ornamental Pest Control, which is strangely in the Ornamental categories, the rule is 8 months. That can be reduced to 6 months and 4 months for 1 or 2 years of college credit.

The field experience required for structural pest control depends on the category. For Wood Destroying Organism Pest Control, Residential/Commercial Pest Control and Fumigation, the general rule is 2 years within the last 5 years. This appears to be the most stringent category. If the license is for wood-destroying organisms, at least 100 hours of work on termites in the last 2 years is an additional requirement. 30 of the 100 must be hands-on experience. Approved termite courses can replace the 100-hour requirement. The other structural categories require only 8 months in the last 5 years.

Qualified supervisors have a $100 license application. A company hiring you might or might not pay that on your behalf.

Certified operators have the same exam requirements, application fees, and the like. However, the difference is that they don’t have to have experience. So a certified operator is like a mid-level position. The reason it is not really an entry-level position is that technicians do not have to take any tests. So that is the entry-level position.

You must pass all applicable exams first and then apply for a license. Qualified supervisors and certified operators use the same form.

Colorado Pest Control Licenses For Commercial Applicator And Limited Commercial Or Public Applicator

This article refers to 3 types of Colorado pest control licenses. They are company-type licenses, as opposed to actual individuals. The one with the most stringent requirements is the commercial applicator. Then, the same requirements are applied to both limited commercial applicators and public applicators (government entities).

Note that a sole proprietor is allowed to be a commercial applicator. Although that is only one person, the applicant would have to qualify as a commercial applicator and either be or employ a qualified person to do the pest control work.

Commercial Applicator

A commercial applicator must have general liability insurance in the amount of at least $400,000. The business must also have at least one qualified supervisor.

A certificate of good standing that was issued within 60 days before the application date is required for registered business organizations. This is not required of sole proprietors, who fill out a citizen verification form as part of the application packet.

If applicable, you must disclose all DBA names. This is not required if you do not have any such Doing Business As names.

If you are going to operate as an aerial applicator, you must receive authorization from the FAA. This is a separate federal license. The Colorado Department of Agriculture requires proof of this before they will give you your state commercial applicator license.

As of 2016, there is a $350 license application fee. But you must pay an additional $100 for each DBA name. Your original name (person or company name) does not have this $200 fee. Payments should be made out to the Colorado Department of Agriculture.

Limited Commercial And Public Applicators

As stated above, these two applicator entities have the same requirements. Even a government agency performing this work must get a license. A limited commercial applicator is a licensee that uses pesticide on property that the licensee personally owns or leases, if the pesticide is being used during the course of business. A homeowner would not fall under this rule unless the homeowner is doing pest control for business purposes.

All of these licensees must have a qualified supervisor. The main difference between these applicants and the general commercial applicators is that there is no requirement to get liability insurance.

The other difference comes to getting a certificate in good standing. Corporations and other registered business organizations that are applying as a limited applicator do still need to present a certificate of good standing that is not more than 60 days old. Sole proprietors and public applicators do not have to present such a certificate, as they wouldn’t be able to get one, anyway.

The application fee is also less for this license. It’s $50, and there is no DBA rule or related $100 fees.

How To Get Provisional Mammographer Registration In Colorado

Radiologic technicians who are certified by ARRT (the American Registry of Radiologic Technicians) generally do not have to register or get a license in Colorado. However, certain specialty areas require some form of registration. Mammography is one of the areas.

Mammography technicians do not have to get any kind of permanent license in this state. Rather, they must get a provisional certificate for training purposes.

A Colorado mammography provisional certificate allows a radiologic technician to get training on the job from a mammographer who is already certified by ARRT. This is not an entry-level radiology position. So you first need to become a rad tech, and ARRT has a Radiography certification for that purpose. This is done by attending a school (usually at a college or university) and then taking a test given by ARRT. Then, you can expand into the mammography field, which is referred to as a “post-primary pathway” to certification by ARRT.

There are actually 2 kinds of provisional certificates. The first is a one-year training certificate. I cannot be renewed at all. Assuming you get your training completed, you are then issued a 1-year operator’s provisional certificate. This may be renewed only one time.

During the time that you are working under a mammography operator’s provisional certificate, you need to study for the ARRT certification exam in mammography. Make sure you are tracking the exam schedule so you can prepare accordingly.

You should sit down with your trainer and make sure you have a plan to meet all mammography technician training requirements. There is a handbook put out by ARRT that you can use to ensure that you are getting adequate training for their test and certification. The second page below is the main mammography page. If the handbook page is no longer current, then you can still find the most recent handbook by looking on the main mammography certification page.

Once you pass the exam and are registered by ARRT, then you can perform mammography tasks without any further registration with the Colorado authorities. The application is below. As of the time of this writing, the fee is $60 when registering with the Department of Health.

Colorado License Requirements For Bone Densitometry Equipment Operator (Radiology)

Some candidates must get a bone densitometry equipment operator license in Colorado. But others are exempt from this registration requirement. Those interested in or studying for a career in radiologic technology need to be aware of the specific requirements and exemptions so they can plan accordingly.

I will give specifics below. But the basic rule is that certain individuals with national certification can practice bone densitometry while using X-rays without any license from any Colorado agency. The certification is good enough under state law.

The following ARRT national certifications are sufficient to exempt certificants from having to take a bone densitometry exam or register with the Department of Health and Environment:

1. Radiography (Radiologic Technologist)
2. Nuclear Medicine Technologist; or
3. Radiation Therapist.

The other certification category that provides exemption is the Certified Nuclear Medicine Technologist, from the Certifying Board of Nuclear Medicine Technologists.

There is a certification that does not exempt the person from registration with the Department. That is the Certified Bone Densitometry Technologist, from the International Society for Clinical Technologists. However, this rule is strange because these individuals are exempt from taking the test (and from the training requirements, as well). They just have to register with the Department without taking the state exam. Note, though, that these applicants must document at least 9 hours of radiation safety training.

An ARRT bone densitometry equipment operator state exam is required before you can get your license. But before registering for the test, you must complete quite a bit of classroom and clinical training and supervised experience. This consists of at least 30 hours in the classroom and 480 hours of supervised clinical experience. As part of the clinical experience, an applicant must show a minimum of at least 30 examinations that were performed on actual patients.

If you have completed your training and think that you are able to pass the test, then fill out the 2 forms below and submit them to the Colorado Department of Health. You will then receive information later on how to register for the bone densitometry equipment operator exam.

As of July 2016, there is a $125 test fee and a $60 license application fee. You must score above 75 percent within the first 3 tries to avoid having to take training again. Regardless, all new test attempts require an additional $185 in fees.

Colorado Licenses For a Radiologic Technologist And Limited Scope Operator (X-Ray)

Colorado is somewhat unusual when it comes to radiologic technology licensing. Depending upon your qualifications, you do not have to even get a license in this state. But some people do have to register. It depends on your national certification status.

If you are nationally certified by ARRT, then you do not have to register with the Department of Public Health and Environment as a limited scope operator. But if you are not certified by ARRT, you will have to meet certain qualifications before you can work with X-ray patients and live patients. Once you meet the qualifications, including passing an exam, then you get a limited scope operator license for X-ray work.

There is more than one kind of limited scope operator. Exam modules include core, chest, extremities, spine, and skull. However, the way Colorado works is you train for and take all of the test modules. Applicants take the ARRT LSO test. Training is required before you can sit for this exam. It includes 80 hours of classroom training and 480 hours of supervised clinical experience. Of the 480, 320 must be with live patients. Up to 160 can be in a lab-type setting and with training on phantoms. The clinical experience must include at least 80 examinations.

If you have met the training requirements for a limited scope operator, then you need to fill out two forms and send them to the Colorado licensing board. They are the application and the form that documents your classroom training and clinical experience. As of the time of this writing, total fees are $185 for the test and license application. On the Core module, you must get 75 percent. On the other 4, you pass if you average 75 percent.

If you want to forget this limited scope operator stuff, then just become a fully nationally certified radiologic technologist with the American Registry of Radiologic Technicians. They have some accredited programs, and you should receive training as part of your school program. After that, you also need to take a radiology certification exam. Unlike a lot of national certifying bodies, ARRT also has a moral fitness requirement. They will look at any criminal convictions before deciding whether to let you take the certification test.

ARRT uses the term “radiography” for the main diagnostic radiologic technology certification program. This is the one you should have to avoid having to apply as a limited scope operator in Colorado.

How To Get Colorado School Leadership Licenses For Principals, Administrators, Special Education Directors, And Gifted Education Directors

Colorado has two main leadership licenses related to public schools. They are for principals and administrators. Specialized education and a certain amount of experience are required for each of these leadership positions. And applicants must also pass an exam.

A principal refers to a building-level administrator, such as one elementary school, one high school, or possibly a combined middle and high school located in the same facility. The term “administrator,” as it relates to Colorado public education, refers to a school district. So what is commonly referred to as a superintendent would have an administrator license.

Principals need 3 years of experience. This can be in a public or private school, and it can be at the elementary or secondary level. All applicants must also have at least a bachelor’s degree and complete an approved principal preparation educational program. An exam is also required. The PLACE exam is being phased out in favor of the Praxis. If the PLACE 80 is still being accepted, the minimum score is 220. Otherwise, you need to score at least 145 on the Praxis 5411.

Administrators do not have any teacher experience requirements at any level. But they must also have at least a bachelor’s degree plus completion of a school administration graduate program. As such, top administrators often have a Ed.D, Ph.D, or other high-level degree.

Administrator testing requirements include a score of at least 220 on the PLACE 81 or 145 on the Praxis 5411.

Both special education and gifted education directors must generally have a master’s degree or doctorate in their chosen field. Each of these director licenses also have specially approved programs. These programs are in addition to getting a master’s degree. However, if a candidate for a special education director license has a master’s degree in special education, then an approved program in school administration is also acceptable. Both director types require pre-licensing experience of at least 2 years. The experience must match the license type (work in a special or gifted education setting). Unlike the Colorado principal and administrator licenses, there is no exam for these 2 director licenses.

There is an exception to the master’s degree requirement for directors. This can be waived by the Department of Education if you can show sufficient knowledge and application of standards that is consistent with a specialist in the field. However, how you would prove this is not clear. It’s up to the licensing authority to make that decision.

All of these license applications have a fee of $90, as of July 2016. For initial licenses, you can find the online applications on the page below. The principal application is by itself. The administrator and director applications are found on the same page.

Ways To Get Various Elementary, Middle, and Secondary School Teacher’s Licenses In Colorado

As with most states, the qualifications to become a teacher in Colorado are needlessly complicated. But the good news for some is that Colorado does not even require a degree for many teacher endorsements. You can pass a subject exam to qualify for a teacher’s license in some cases. Of course, it is always good to have a degree for employment purposes even if it’s not required for your desired teacher endorsement.

Note on Exams:

I am writing this in July of 2016. As of September 2016, Colorado teacher license candidates can take the Praxis exams for endorsement purposes. They can still take the PLACE exams, but only until May 6, 2017. Applications based on PLACE exams will only be accepted until May 6, 2022. After that, a Praxis exam will be required unless Colorado changes this rule by that time.

I will now list the subjects for which a passing score exam is sufficient for licensing. A degree or approved program is also acceptable. Passing scores differ by test.

Grades 7-12:

Agriculture and Natural Resources Education
English Language Arts
Family and Consumer Sciences
Social Studies
Technology Education

Grades K-12:

Drama Theater Arts
Instructional Technology
Physical Education
Visual Arts
World Languages (this category includes Spanish, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, American Sign Language, Italian, Latin, and Russian)

Ages 0 to 8:

Early Childhood Education


Other kinds of teacher certification have different and often more complicated requirements in Colorado. Some are endorsements that can only be added to an existing license.

Those where no exam exists include Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education K-12, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Bilingual Education Specialist K-12, Dance K-12, and Trade and Industry Grades 7-12. Generally, these require an approved program or 24 credit hours of relevant education. The 2 “Culturally and Linguistically Diverse” endorsements cannot be stand-alone licenses. They can only be added to an existing license.

For Elementary Education K-6, you will need to complete a degree, approved program, and exam for an initial license.

Gifted Education Core Ages PreK-12 requires completion of a graduate program and exam, and it is not a stand-alone license. Gifted Education Specialist Ages PreK-12 is about the same. But you must complete a master’s degree in Gifted Education.

Instructional Technology Specialist K-12 (also not a stand-alone option) requires 3 years of licensed teaching experience and completion of an approved program.

Both Reading Teacher K-12 and Reading Specialist K-12 require a graduate program. 2 years of experience is necessary for the Reading Teacher added endorsement, and it’s 3 years for Reading Specialist. The “Reading” endorsements cannot be stand-alone licenses.

Teacher Librarian K-12 requires an approved program in library science or a similar subject. The internship must include training in both elementary and secondary school.

There are many Special Education endorsements that have their own specific qualifications. Early Childhood Special Education Ages 0-8 requires an approved program, while Early Childhood Special Education Specialist Ages 0-8 requires the program to be at the graduate level.

Special Education Generalist Ages 5-21 is a tough one to get, and it’s also a prerequisite for Special Education Specialist Ages 5-21. The Generalist license requires you to pass both Elementary Education and Special Education Generalist. You must also complete a program, degree, or 24 related credit hours. The Specialist category also requires an approved program specifically for specialists plus at least a master’s degree in special education.

There is also an endorsement for Special Education Specialist: Deaf and Hard of Hearing Ages Birth-21. This requires an approved program in this field plus a relevant master’s degree. The same rules apply for Special Education Specialist: Visually Impaired Ages Birth-21.

If you have met the requirements for any of these teacher licenses, then you can apply online at the Colorado Department of Education website. The typical application fee is $90.

After a certain amount of experience, you can upgrade to a professional or master Colorado teaching license. The above requirements refer to an initial license.