Ways of Getting a Colorado Attorney License

There are several ways of obtaining a law license in Colorado. Certification is provided by the Colorado Supreme Court Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel.

Although a limited license is possible, I will first discuss how to get a regular full license. Below that, I will include info on Colorado limited attorney licenses.

The main routes to qualify for a license in Colorado are to graduate from law school and then take either the Colorado Bar Examination or submit scores of a Uniform Bar Examination that was taken in another state. Certain applicants can get a license via an “on-motion” process.

Like all states, you will also have to pass a background check. This is referred to in Colorado as a “character and fitness investigation.” You may be able to get a license with a criminal record. But this is decided on a per-applicant basis. So there aren’t really any hard and fast rules about what criminal records will cause your application for a Colorado lawyer’s license to be rejected.

You also need to fill out an online application. This is long, so you create an account and can save your work and finish it on your own time. The link below was correct at the time of this post. That link could possibly change in the future. The second link is the home page for the Office of the Attorney Regulation Counsel. So if the first link below changes, you should check the Office’s website for the current application link.



The Colorado exam is the UBE. It has 3 parts that are the same as other states that also administer the UBE. A scaled score of 276 out of 400 is required at the time of this article to pass. In February of 2016, 61 percent of the test takers passed.

If you want to apply based on a UBE score transfer, you must have passed a test that was given within 3 years before your application date. However, if you have been a practicing licensed attorney in the 2 years before your application date, your UBE score can be up to 5 years old.

Some people cannot transfer a UBE score because their original state does not administer the UBE. So these applicants may be forced to take the Colorado Bar Exam to get a license in this state even if they passed a different test. Even if you pass the bar exam or apply via UBE score transfer, you must also pass the MPRE and attend a professionalism course.

Some practicing lawyers from out of state can get a Colorado license “on motion.” However, this only applies when the applicant is a practicing lawyer in good standing and has practiced for at least 3 of the 5 years preceding the Colorado license application. And you must have graduated from an ABA-accredited school. Also, you need a passing score on the MPRE within 2 years before your application date. Like other applicants, completion of a professionalism course is also required.

The following limited license allow for the temporary practice of law in various capacities: pro bono certification, law student practice, practice pending admission, pro hac vice, single client, foreign legal consultant, judge advocate, law professor certification, and military spouse certification. The MPRE is not required for these temporary licenses. Refer to Rule 204 to learn more about how to qualify for any of these limited licenses.

Colorado Managing General Agent Insurance License Requirements

A managing general agent in Colorado has some licensing requirements. And in addition to that, the insurer who has one or more managing general agents must comply with paperwork reporting requirements.

It is first important to determine what a managing general agent is under Colorado law. One kind of MGA negotiates and binds reinsurance contracts. The other kind is much broader. It refers to anyone who manages all or part of the insurance business of an insurer. This is what the statutes say. As far as the Division’s regulations are concerned, the licensing and paperwork reporting requirements apply for each MGA who does more than $10,000 in contracts (in either a quarter or year) by way of adjusting or paying claims. Any amount of reinsurance negotiation applies even if it is less than 10K.

There is another limitation, though, about whether someone is a managing general agent. This person must individually or with affiliates produce gross direct written premium that is at least 5 percent of the policyholder surplus, as evidenced on the last available annual statement. So small managers or large companies might not actually fit the definition of a managing general agent.

If someone meets the definition, he or she must be a Colorado insurance producer. There are many kinds of producers,such as life, accident and health, property, casualty, etc. To learn how to qualify as one of these producers, you can click on the “colorado insurance license” tag under this post to find the various producer (agent) licenses in this state.

All managing general agents must have a contract with the employing insurer.

The regulation states that insurance companies must use an acceptable form to report all MGAs. It does not give an exact form or refer to a template or anything like that. Those needing to ask about how they can do this can call the Division of Insurance at 303-894-7499.

Insurers must also get a bond for each managing general agent. It must be $100,000 or 10% of the agent’s total annual premium, but this does not have to exceed half a million dollars. The bond is required for every insurer that the agent represents. Regulation 1-2-7 has a few other requirements for insurers, such as an independent audit and an annual filing of an MGA questionnaire.


If a managing general agent represents more than one insurer, he or she must keep separate accounts for each insurer. Another thing is only for MGAs who have been operating for less than a year. During that first year, they need to make a financial statement each month. It can be done by an officer of the agent if such officer exists. This does not have to be submitted to the Division. But it should be kept on file in case they ask to see it.

Colorado Reinsurance Intermediary Producer And Manager License Requirements

A reinsurance intermediary is required to get a state license in Colorado. This rule applies to producers and managers. The license is received from the Division of Insurance. You can get the producer license whether or not you are an insurance producer in Colorado of any other lines of insurance. Nonresidents can also apply for a Colorado reinsurance intermediary producer license. But they must set up the Division of Insurance as their agent for service of process. The Division’s regulations state that you should request a producer license application form if you want to apply. Here is their contact information:

Division of Insurance
Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies
1560 Broadway
Suite 850
Denver, CO 80202

Phone Numbers:

Once you apply for and receive a Colorado reinsurance intermediary producer license, it does not expire. However, you periodically have to pay a continuation fee to keep it active. The initial fee is $200, and the continuation fee is the same.

You must submit NAIC biographical affidavits with your application. Note that the person or company applying must have 5 years of reinsurance experience. The regulation says “responsible” experience. I presume that means a mere clerk or other administrative person might not qualify for a license. It generally means you must be directly involved in negotiating or must be a supervisor of those negotiating reinsurance contracts. A copy of the business contract you will use must also be submitted.

Managers have a somewhat different application process. The application and biographical affidavits are the same as for producers. But managers need 10 years of experience instead of only 5. The regulation does not state that all 10 years must be in the reinsurance area. But some of it probably should be. The exact kinds and level of experience are subject to approval by the Division.

Managers have substantial financial requirements. They must present a fidelity bond of at least $1 million. Errors and omissions insurance is also required. The amount depends on the total liability limits of the previous year. For 0 to 10 million, the policy must be at least $1 million. For 10 to 25 million, the insurance must be at least 2.5 million dollars. More than 25 million in total liability amounts, and your insurance must be at least 5 million.

The same initial and continuation fees of $200 apply to managers. And the service-of-process rule for nonresidents applies. Finally, copies of contracts to be used by the manager must be submitted with the Colorado reinsurance intermediary license application.

How To Be a Long-Term Care Insurance Agent In Colorado

Long-term care insurance is not a licensed line of authority in the state of Colorado. Rather, certain licensed individuals can sell long-term care insurance products if they meet specific licensing and training requirements.

The first step is to get an accident and health license. Long-term care is related to health insurance. But it’s kind of a subset of it. So you aren’t really fully qualified with just a general accident and health insurance producer license. Thus, there are some additional requirements.

Before you can start selling these specialized policies, you must take some classes. The first time you get your training, 16 credit hours are required. 8 of the 16 must be in Long-Term Care Partnerships. And this course must be in a classroom setting instead of self-study or Internet options. The other 8 credits can be in a Colorado Long-Term Care General course.

The database of approved courses and schools has a number of these classes that can be attended through one specific 8-credit course. So you can complete the initial educational requirements with just 2 courses.

Now, every 2 years after your initial training, you are going to have to take some more classes as continuing education. But the requirement is reduced to 5 hours. When checking the database, you will see some courses referred to as “Long Term Care 5 Hour Ongoing Training” or words to that effect. This is what you need to take every 2 years after the first 16-credit qualification.

On the page below, you will see that you can choose to search for Continuing Education courses as the Education Type. Select that and then the 3 “Long Term Care” options under Course Category. Run the search, and you will see the available courses on the next page.


You can click here to determine the qualifications for a Colorado accident and health insurance producer license. This is actually considered only one line of authority. The “accident” and “health” components are grouped together instead of separated. So that means you can take just one pre-licensing course and one exam to get that license. Once you have it, there are no more tests. But you will have to take the long-term care courses before you can sell that type of insurance policy.

There are no additional fees and not even an application to start selling long-term care policies. Just make sure you finish your courses first. Otherwise, you will be violating the law and could have your license suspended or revoked.

How To Become a Colorado Bail Bond Insurance Producer

While there is no actual license for bail bond insurance producers in Colorado, certain requirements apply before an agent can legally write bail bonds in this state. Portions of the requirements include educational courses and an exam.

Actually, there is no Colorado bail bond insurance producer exam. Rather, all producers seeking to write bail bonds must have a casualty insurance license. It is this casualty license that requires an exam.

Individuals usually apply for a property and casualty license. This gives them more opportunities in the insurance business. But if you want casualty only, you can take a course of about 20 hours and then just take the casualty licensing test. If you want P & C, then you must also take a property course plus a separate property insurance exam.

As stated earlier, there is no bail bond test. However, you must attend 2 bail bond classes before working with clients in this insurance field. One is an 8-hour Bail Bond Training class. The other is a 16-hour Bail Recovery Practices class.

To find approved Colorado bail bond insurance courses, go to Sircon and look under Pre-Licensing Education for the Education Type and check off both Bail Bond and Bail Recovery for the Course Category. You will then see a list of companies and their scheduled classes. Some are in a classroom, and there are also some self-study and possibly Internet options.


Since there is no bail bond license, there are no exam or application fees. But there are fees for the casualty. They are $48 for the test and about $50 for a resident license application. You’ll pay double if getting property at the same time.

All bail bond producers must be appointed by a bail insurance company before they begin work. In other words, you can’t just go out and find your own customers. But some people may be able to form their own bail insurance company and then work as an agent for the company.

Access the Candidate Information Bulletin if you still need to take the casualty test. It has registration and test-prep instructions. I recommend using the materials from your course along with Pearson’s exam content outline.


Note that another advantage to getting licensed for both property and casualty is that it is a prerequisite to getting the surplus lines license, as well. So if you do it this way, you can set yourself up for property, casualty, bail bonds, and surplus lines.

How To Get a Colorado Insurance License For Variable Life And Variable Annuity

Many life insurance agents in Colorado also receive the authority to sell variable life and variable annuity products. The license for both of these lines of authority (life and variable life and variable annuity) are obtained from the Division of Insurance.

There are some special requirements to get this Colorado insurance producer license. You must either already have a life insurance license or apply for one with the same application filed for variable life and variable annuity.

If you have not earned a life insurance license yet, then you will have to complete a course of study and also pass an exam given by Pearson VUE. There is no separate exam for variable life and variable annuity. And there are no required Colorado classes for the “variable” line of authority. However, you must be certified nationally by FINRA. When you are certified, you receive a CRD #. Submit that with your application.

If you still have to take a life insurance training course, look up approved providers using the page below. Ensure that you search under the pre-licensing education database. The Course Category is Pre-Licensing Life. But there are other options if you want to study for and take the test for accident and health insurance. Some courses combine all of these lines of authority into a single course. Just be aware that you will have to take an accident and health insurance exam in addition to the life test if you go this route. By itself, life is about 40 hours. But it is 80 when combined with accident and health.


Exam content outlines can help you narrow down what you need to study for the license exam. These can be found by referring to the Pearson VUE Candidate Information Bulletin.


Colorado insurance exams are $48 each. If you are applying for life and variable life and variable annuity at the same time, the license fee would be $114 for residents and $178 for nonresidents. That is because you have to pay twice. But if you are simply adding variable life and annuity, then it is $57 or $89, depending on resident status.

To get certified by FINRA, you must take the Series 6 exam. As of the time of this writing, it costs $100. The same test, if passed, allows you to market mutual funds, municipal fund securities, unit investment trusts. This is a multiple-choice test with 100 items. The FINRA website says that there are no prerequisites to take this exam.


Refer to FINRA’s Online Learning page for test preparation information.


Colorado Insurance License For a Public Adjuster

A public insurance adjuster works with consumer policyholders to help assess damages related to an insurance claim. It’s essentially the opposite of an insurance company’s adjuster in that the insurer’s adjuster is working on behalf of the company instead of the consumer. Many times, a public adjuster can help increase the settlement amount obtained on an insurance claim. Sometimes, you may seem the term “independent adjuster.” This is the same as a public adjuster. And the term “claims adjuster” also refers to the same thing.

Colorado public adjusters are licensed by the Division of Insurance. As of the time of this writing, Pearson VUE’s Candidate Information Booklet does not mention specific training requirements for Colorado public insurance adjusters. But there is an required licensing exam. Now, I am not saying that there is no educational requirements at the time you are reading this. So I will include information on taking appropriate classes.

Regardless of whether you are required to complete a public adjuster educational course, it is still a good idea to attend classes in preparation for the test. There may be some programs for public adjusting that are approved by the Division of Insurance. When I ran a search at the time of this post, however, none was listed. However, there were some listed under continuing education. Run your own search and contact these organizations to see if they have a course specifically designed to prepare you for the Colorado public adjuster licensing exam.


You can also use Pearson VUE’s exam content outline, which is linked to from the Candidate Information Bulletin. The public insurance adjuster test is 1 hour and 15 minutes long.


Caution: There are some online public adjuster training courses that are several hundred dollars. I found some very misleading information on some of these sites. I won’t mention them. But if you aren’t sure how to get ready for your adjuster exam, I would not just randomly sign up to some course. Get a recommendation from a currently licensed Colorado public insurance adjuster before making a decision.

All public adjuster applicants in Colorado must present a copy of the service contract that they are going to use with clients. This is designed to ensure that you are using a legal contract. It’s for protection of the consumer.

As of 2016, you will pay $48 for the adjuster exam and about $50 to $90 for a license application, depending on whether you are a resident or nonresident.

Links to the NIPR and Sircon online Colorado insurance license application forms are on the Division’s website. Use the following page and look under the Forms section.


Colorado Insurance Agent License For Surplus Lines

Some insurance producers in Colorado get a surplus lines license that allows them to sell policies from out-of-state insurers. But this category of license is for certain existing licensees who would like to add this line of authority. Anyone interested in becoming an insurance agent in Colorado should understand the procedure to getting authorized for surplus lines even before taking their first insurance class.

First, anyone who wants to be a surplus lines producer in this state needs to first have a property and casualty insurance license. You can click here to see how to qualify for those lines of authority. The requirement is to have both property and casualty, not just one. Briefly, that means that you will have to take pre-licensing courses in both lines plus take two exams.

There is no separate surplus lines education or training requirement after you have your property and casual license. However, there is a surplus lines exam. So all together, you will have to pass 3 tests before you can add this line of authority.

If you had a surplus lines insurance license from another state within 90 days before you apply, then you are exempt from taking the exam. You are also exempt if you had a Colorado license that became invalid less than a year before your application.

Note that you can apply for property, casualty, and surplus lines all at the same time. To do this, though, you would have to take and pass all 3 tests and then apply with the same application form.

The exam fees are $48 each. But you can take two at the same time with no additional charge. So that would mean at least $96 total for all 3 of the license types.

License fees are separate from test fees. Property and casualty are both $57 for residents and $89 for nonresidents. But surplus lines is an expensive license. It is $233 for residents and $373 for nonresidents.

When I checked, there were no surplus lines courses, presumably because there is no legal requirement to take any pre-licensing courses. But there is an exam content outline available in Pearson VUE’s candidate booklet. While they do not recommend study guides or textbooks or other materials, there is some information in the booklet explaining where to look for prep material.


The Colorado Division of Insurance has a website with a Licensing section. On this page, you can find links to Colorado Revised Statutes and insurance regulations. You can also use these to study Colorado insurance laws, which are also fair game on the surplus lines exam.


Colorado Insurance License For Crop Hail Adjusters

The Colorado Division of Insurance has a specific license for crop hail adjusters. Those who get this license typically also have or plan to get licensed for property and casualty insurance since these are all related categories. And a crop hail adjuster might also get a license as a public adjuster.

There is no actual requirement to be a property and casualty insurance producer to have the crop hail line of authority. But this makes sense for business purposes since additional products can be sold to farmers in addition to crop hail insurance. Otherwise, you would be strictly limited to crop hail and would likely lose money by not being able to offer insurance on the non-crop portion of farm property and crop damage due to other causes, such as fire.

If you only want to be a crop hail insurance producer, then there is no education requirement. If, however, you are also doing property and casualty, then both of those lines have education and exam requirements. The public adjuster license requires an exam. And courses are available for this. But there is no specific requirement to attend classes.

Crop hail does have a Colorado licensing exam. It is administered through Pearson VUE, as of 2016. They charge $48 per test for both residents and nonresidents. However, you can take 2 tests in a single sitting for a single $48 fee. An example would be taking the crop hail adjuster test and public adjuster exam at the same time.

You might be able to get study materials from Profit Strategies Inc. Their contact information is as follows:

7700 E. Arapahoe Road
Centennial, CO 80112

You should also study Colorado insurance laws and the Division’s industry regulations.


In conjunction with any study references, you should be using Pearson VUE’s crop hail insurance producer exam content outline. It can be found using the Candidate Information Bulletin. But the outline is worthless without study material because it only gives you the subjects covered on the test, not the actual substantive materials.


The license fee in Colorado depends on whether you are applying as a resident or nonresident. $57 is the resident cost, and $89 is charged to nonresidents. This is for each line of license, so you must pay the fee more than once if you are applying for multiple lines.

If you pass the test, then you can apply for a license through NIPR or Sircon. Both provide license administration on behalf of the Colorado Division of Insurance.



How to Get Title And Attorney Title Insurance Producer Licenses In Colorado

There are two types of title insurance agent (producer) licenses in Colorado. One is the standard producer license. And there is another that is really the same. However, it has different qualifications because it is for licensed attorneys only. This is sometimes called the “attorney title” license. So there is really only one, but there are two ways to get it – one way for non-lawyers and another for lawyers. The licensing agency is the Division of Insurance.

There are no pre-licensing training course requirements in Colorado for title insurance. And I also could not find any list of approved courses in the course catalog on the Sircon website. However, you may wish to contact some of these providers and ask them whether they have any study material for Colorado title insurance. The reason this is important is because there is a title insurance exam in Colorado. So you generally need to pass that to get your license.

The exception with attorneys is that they do not have to take the title insurance test. But if you apply for this, make sure you select “attorney title” for the line of authority and also submit a copy of your Colorado bar card.

Pearson VUE, which is the exam administrator, does have some exam content outlines in its Candidate Information Bulletin. However, they don’t have much in the way of exam reference or textbook lists.

You should also prepare by going over Colorado insurance statutes, rules, and regulations. These can be found by using the links in the “Statutes, Regulations, Bulletins” section on the Division’s Licensing page.


Title insurance statutes are in Article 11 of Title 10. You should also study at least Articles 1, 2, and 3, which have a number of general provisions relating to all insurance lines of authority.

Both title and attorney title producers have additional documentation and financial requirements. They must have cash capital of at least $10,000. And this must be proven by an accountant’s notarized letter. All applicants must also file a form that shows all affiliate business arrangements.

On the following Division page, you will see a Business section. In there, there is a link to an Affiliated Business Disclosure Form. Access that and fill it out when applying for your Colorado title insurance producer license. One form is required for each affiliation.


The affiliation form is separate from the actual license application. You can apply at Sircon.com. And the fee is about $50 to $60. That is in addition to a $48 exam fee if you have to take it.