How to Get Connecticut Boxing And MMA Licenses For Fighters, Promoters, Etc.

Connecticut has several kinds of boxing and MMA licenses. I will list them below. Unfortunately, there are no application forms online for these licenses. However, I will include contact information below. The licensing agency is the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection.

For fighters, the Department issues licenses for professional boxers, amateur boxers, professional mixed martial artists (MMA fighters), and amateur mixed martial artists. Other positions that are listed below require a license for both amateur and professional divisions. They include promoters, judges, referees, matchmakers, assistant matchmakers, announcers, timekeepers, managers, and seconds. Amateur boxers must also be registered with an approved amateur athletic association.

Connecticut boxing and MMA licenses are valid for the calendar year. This means that they expire on December 31, regardless of the date that you obtain the license. So if you get it in December, it will be valid for less than a month.

Since there are no applications online, you need to contact the relevant Department to get the proper and up-to-date forms. The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection can be reached at 860-685-8458. The address is 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT 06457.

A fee will be assessed for Connecticut MMA and boxing licenses for fighters, promoters, and the other positions. Check the current form for applicable fees. As of the time of this writing, there is a $315 fee for promoters. Promoters must be at least 18 and have a certificate of good standing from the Secretary of State. They must disclose all criminal convictions, as well.

I will list the current fees for the other licenses. Note that these are subject to change.

1. matchmakers – $130
2. assistant matchmakers – $130
3. announcer – $30
4. timekeeper – $30
5. judges – $130 (must have at least 20/40 vision, but it can be with corrective lenses)
6. refs – $130 (same 20/40 vision rule and complete physical exam)
7. managers – $130 (may also act as fighter’s second if manager is managing that fighter)
8. professional boxer or MMA artist – $30
9. amateur boxer or MMA artist – $15
10. second – $30
11. trainer – $30

Various requirements apply for some of these positions. You can read about these in the Licensure and Registration section of the rules, which is Section 29-143j-17a. You can find those rules by scrolling down on the page below. Note that these rules are subject to change at any time.

Connecticut License Requirements For Water Well Drilling And Well Casing Extension Contractors And Journeypersons

Connecticut has 6 license categories that are in the general area of well drilling. They include 2 for water well drilling, 2 for non-water or monitoring well drilling, and 2 for well casing extension work. Each of these 3 types has a contractor license and a separate journeyperson license. The following is a list of the 6 licenses:

1. W-1 Limited Water Well Contractor Driller
2. W-2 Limited Water Well Driller (Journeyperson)
3. W-3 Limited Non-Water or Monitoring Well Contractor Driller
4. W-4 Limited Non-Water or Monitoring Well Driller (Journeyperson)
5. W-5 Well Casing Extension Contractor
6. W-6 Well Casing Extension Journeyperson

License holders with W-1 to W-4 can construct wells, including both installation and repairs/maintenance. W-5 to W-6 may do well casing extensions, repair, and maintenance.

Like the typical Connecticut contractor license, there is an exam that you must pass to get the relevant license. PSI is the test administrator. As of 2016, they charge an application fee of $88 for the W1 to W4 license tests. The fee is $50 for the well casing extension exams applications. However, all tests have an additional fee of $65 once you are approved to sit for the exam.

The W-2 and W-4 journeyperson licenses require a 3-year apprenticeship program. Equivalent training and experience are accepted on a case-by-case basis.

W-5 and W-6 are for contractors or journeypersons who are already licensed to do plumbing and piping work. You can read my separate article for Connecticut plumbing and piping licenses for those qualifications. Basically, though, the requirements are an apprenticeship program and exam for journeypersons and 2 years of journeyperson experience and an exam for contractors. Then, you have the separate well casing extension tests. So while well casing extension licenses do not require additional training or experience, they do require an extra test.

The difference between well drilling contractors and journeypersons is that contractors have at least 2 years of experience as a journeyperson.

There is confusion in the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin about whether a contractor driller must take the Business and Law exam in addition to the trade exam. If you want one of the contractor licenses, ask a current licensee or call 1-800-733-9267 to clear up this issue.

How To Become a Licensed Veterinarian Or Veterinary Technician In Connecticut

The Connecticut Department of Public Health is the licensing authority for veterinarians. At the time of this 2017 post, there are no requirements to get a license to work as a veterinary technician. However, because this is a growing field that may require a Connecticut license in the future, I have included some information on Connecticut veterinary technology schools and how vet techs normally qualify to get a license. This could be helpful if you think you may be moving to a state that does require a license.

Veterinarian applicants must graduate from a school that was accredited by the AVMA at the time of graduation. The standard accepted degree is a doctorate in veterinary medicine. And these degrees are awarded at veterinary medicine schools and some schools of veterinary dentistry or surgery. The following page can be used to access a database of accredited US and Canadian schools. There were no Connecticut veterinary medicine schools when I checked. Cornell University has a program, and so does Tufts University. The University of Pennsylvania is another fairly close school.

There are hundreds of foreign schools that are approved by the AVMA. You can use the following page to see a country-specific list of such accredited schools. If a school is not on this list, be aware that the Department of Public Health might not accept it even if you are able to pass the licensing exam.

There are 2 exam options. You can either take the NAVLE or both the NBE and CCT in Veterinary Medicine. If you took one of these tests before December of 1992, the passing score is one standard deviation below the national mean. After that, the test administrator’s reported passing score is used.

There is a $565 application fee for Connecticut veterinarians. Here is the application form:

There are some schools that offer veterinary technology programs in Connecticut even though the state does not require a license. These are associate degree programs for the most part. A small number of universities in the United States offer a vet tech bachelor’s degree. But those are usually not required even in states that require a license. Middlesex Community College, Northwest Connecticut Community College, and Norwalk Community College have Associate of Science degree programs in veterinary technology. These are accredited by the AVMA. So if you move to a state that requires a license, that licensing agency would probably accept these degree programs.

Although not required in Connecticut, keep in mind that vet techs in states that require a license usually make you take and pass a licensing exam. This is usually the Veterinary Technician National Examination, or VTNE. You might or might not have to take this test if you move to a state with a license program.

How To Do Timeshare Property Registration In Connecticut

Property owners who wish to market a property for timeshare purposes must register at the state level in Connecticut. The Department of Consumer Protection is the agency that regulates the timeshare registration program.

The first step to registering a timeshare in this state is to review the applicable legal requirements of the property, paperwork, advertising, and the like. These are found in Public Act 09-156.

Although you need to read the entirety of 09-156, pay close attention to Section 8. It tells you what you need to submit with your timeshare registration application. For example, all applicants need to submit a copy of the legally required disclosure statement and recorded time share instruments. Section 11 lays out the required contents of the disclosure statement, and instruments refer to anything that contains restrictions or covenants imposed on timeshare owners, such as association articles of incorporation.

Some also have to submit an exchange disclosure statement. There are many more details to consider. I am just listing some of the big things here. Go through the entire Act when preparing your application. The following form is from 2009. So it might not be up to date. You can email the Real Estate Unit at to make sure you have the currently valid application form.

The total fees to register a timeshare property in Connecticut are $1000. $300 is an application fee, and the other $700 is the registration fee. Submit only one check or money order in the amount of $1000 for these fees. Make payment to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”

There are some other things that you must include with your application. They include details of your marketing (promotional) plan and any advertising you intend to use. Promotions include any program designed to get people to a sales presentation. They also include any gift or contest or other thing of value.

If you have not registered with the ARELLO Timeshare Registry, then you must submit hardcopies of supporting documents. But if you have registered with ATR, then email and ask what format you should use to submit supporting documents.

Television, Radio, Stereo, Satellite Dish, And Electronics Technician Licenses In Connecticut

Connecticut issues a variety of different technician licenses for electronic equipment, including televisions, radios, stereos, satellite dishes, and other electronic items that use an antenna. The scope of work that a technician can engage in depends on which license is obtained. The general rule for dealer-technicians is that they need to have 2 years of experience as a technician first before qualifying to become a dealer-tech.

Note that these licenses typically require you to take and pass an exam. As of 2016, the exam administrator is PSI. That company has a Candidate Information Bulletin that you can access to get a test registration form. The standard fee for technicians is $80, and that is to apply to take the exam. It is $200 for dealer-techs. If you are accepted, then there is a $65 test fee. Dealers also take a separate law and business exam that has an additional $65 fee. You also generally need to complete an apprenticeship program to become eligible to sit for the test. But equivalent experience and training may be accepted on an individual basis.

After you pass the license test, then you can submit a license application to the Department of Consumer Protection. There is no need to submit anything to the Department before taking your test. Apprenticeship and any other requested documents are sent to PSI, not to the Department.

The R-1 license is for a business owner (dealer) who is not incorporated. It allows for radio and audio servicing, installation, and repair. R-2 is a radio certified electronic technician. They work for dealers and do not have their own business. RR-1 is a license for dealers that is limited to installation of the following items into an automobile: radios, stereos, CBs, and sound equipment. RR-1 license holders may not repair these items. RR-2 is for technicians who work for dealers. They also may only do automobile installation work for radios, CBs, stereos, and sound equipment.

V-1 is a service dealer who may also work on any type of electronic equipment. It is considered an unrestricted license. V-2 is a service technician who also can do unrestricted work on electronics.

The V-4 license is for technicians (not dealers) who may only work on satellite dishes that are one meter or less in size (diameter). This requires a training program of at least 40 hours and OJT of at least 120 hours. V-5 is a limited antenna dish contractor. They may run their own business. You must be a V-4 technician for 2 years before you can become a contractor.

V-6 is an antenna technician who can do any kind of antenna installation and repairs. V-7 is a master antenna installation and repair dealer. V-9 is for service dealers who are non-technician owners. They must hire or contract with technicians who are licensed to do the work. Each physical location that employs technicians must register for a V-9 license. This does not require any type of exam, so you use the form below. The second form below is an application to approve an apprenticeship program.

License Qualifications For a Connecticut Telecommunications Infrastructure Layout Technician

Connecticut has a special technician license for telecommunications infrastructure layout. Applicants need to get licensed by the Department of Consumer Protection to engage in this work. However, this is not an entry-level position. Instead, it is for those with specialized training and experience in the electrical field.

The kind of layout involved in this licensed work is the preparation and production of telecommunications infrastructure design and working drawings. These designs and drawings are used for the purposes of installing, altering, and modifying infrastructure in commercial and any other nonresidential buildings. Layout technicians must have the skills to design infrastructure that meets national standards.

Connecticut uses the following publications to determine whether work meets national standards: Commercial Building Telecommunications Cabling Standard, Commercial Building Standard For Telecommunications Pathways and Spaces, National Electrical Code, Residential and Light Commercial Telecommunications Wiring Standard, and any other relevant publications chosen by the Department of Consumer Protection.

The general rule is that only electrical contractors, electrical journeypersons, and public service technicians with at least 5 years of licensed experience can become a telecommunications infrastructure layout technician. The Department may accept similar experience and training if it is deemed to be equivalent to 5 years of experience in the electrical field. The other exception is that professional engineers do not need this license to do telecommunications infrastructure design work since they are deemed to be sufficiently qualified based on existing training and experience.

Even with 5 years of experience, applicants must also have taken a college-level course or courses in telecommunications infrastructure design. The course must provide instruction on design work that meets nationally recognized industry standards.

Other than the college program on telecommunications infrastructure, there are no other educational requirements. However, someone who is qualified probably already completed an apprenticeship or similar program years before their application for this license. There is also no license test for Connecticut telecommunications infrastructure layout technicians.

An application is included on the page below. The application fee was $75. But at least as of 2014, it had increased to $150. And if accepted, you must pay an additional license fee of $315. You will not officially receive a license until you pay this license fee.

Connecticut License And Registration Requirements For Student-Athlete Agents

Certain kinds of athlete agents must be licensed in Connecticut before negotiating or entering into agency contracts with student-athletes. This registration is done through the Department of Consumer Protection.

This licensing system is for those who represent student-athletes, not those who are already professionals. But most sports agents also try to recruit college athletes. So the bulk of agents will have to register as an “athlete agent” since it would be an odd business model to exclude college athletes from the agency business. Nonetheless, the rule is that registration is required if the represented athlete either is, may become, or is eligible to participate in intercollegiate sports.

The contracts that are covered by this law only include contracts for professional sports. So an agent registered under this law is someone who tries to get a sports contract with professional teams. Thus, the represented athletes are college players trying to break into the pros. This law is not designed to require registration of someone who is trying to get someone on a college team (which is normally not even allowed, anyway).

Note that this law also requires registration for endorsement contracts. College players are often not allowed to enter into endorsements while playing college sports. However, if such a thing is legally possible, then a license is required of the agent before he can negotiate such contracts on behalf of a student-athlete.

Limited Exception: If a person happens upon the opportunity to represent a college athlete, he can start the process of securing an agency contract. But before the contract is signed and within 7 days after starting representation, the agent must register with the Department. After confirmation of registration, the agent can enter the student-athlete into a contract. However, this rule only applies if the student initiates first contact with the agent. An unregistered individual is not allowed to go out and try to recruit college players for representation. Such individuals must register first to avoid voiding any contracts that are entered into before registration.

A 2009 Connecticut student-athlete agent application can be found on the following page. At that time, the fee was $250. If you want to ensure that this form and fee are still valid or to get a current one if need be, then call 860-713-6155.

Connecticut License Requirements For a Speech And Language Pathologist

Speech and language pathologists in Connecticut need to get a license from the Department of Public Health. Requirements include an exam, get a formal education in speech and language pathology, and obtain some professional supervised experience.

Candidates for this Connecticut license must at least get a master’s degree in speech and language pathology. A doctorate is not required. The program must have been accredited by ASHA at the time of the applicant’s graduation. Other programs might be accepted. But they have to meet certain requirements. So if you have not yet entered a master’s degree program, it is best to choose one that is accredited by ASHA.

The experience requirement is an SPE, which is Supervised Professional Experience. This could be either in Connecticut or some other state. If, for some reason, you did not complete an SPE in another state, you can use licensed work experience as long as that experience occurred after receiving a master’s degree. If you did not have a license for this post-master’s work experience, then the time will not be credited unless you were certified by ASHA or another professional organization accepted by the Department. If you qualify to substitute the SPE via work experience, you must have at least 18 months of part-time work or 9 months of full-time work.

The Connecticut speech and language pathologist exam is the one administered by ETS. It is either the NTE or whatever current exam that ETS is using. Sometimes, the name of the test changes. At the time of this article, it is referred to as the Praxis exam in speech-language pathology. The only time that you do not have to take a licensing exam is if you area already certified by ASHA with a Certificate of Clinical Competence. But for recent graduates, this usually means that you will have to take the test since the exam is the current basis for obtaining the Certificate of Clinical Competence from ASHA.

Applicants pay a $200 license application fee, as of 2016. Exam fees are separate.

There are 2 different SPE forms. The first one below is used if you completed your experience in Connecticut. The second one is for when you completed the SPE in another jurisdiction. The third form is to verify work experience that is being claimed in lieu of the SPE.

Connecticut Solar Energy (Thermal And Electric) License Types And Qualifications

At the time of this writing, there are 4 different kinds of solar power worker licenses in Connecticut. 2 are for solar thermal, and 2 are for solar electric workers. They are as follows:

1. ST-1 Solar Thermal Contractor
2. ST-2 Solar Thermal Limited Journeyperson
3. PV-1 Limited Solar Electric Contractor
4. PV-2 Limited Solar Electric Journeyperson

A solar thermal contractor license applicant must have 2 years of experience as a licensed solar journeyperson and pass a trade exam and a separate test on Connecticut law and business. This contractor work is limited to work on active, passive, and hybrid solar systems that convey, store, or distribute ambient energy or directly convert such ambient energy into heat. These contractors may install, repair, replace, and alter such solar thermal systems.

A solar thermal limited journeyperson may work on the same systems as an ST-1 contractor. However, the journeyperson must work for a contractor since independent work as a journeyperson is not allowed. Journeyperson must take the solar thermal trade exam after completing an apprenticeship or other training program that included instruction and work on solar thermal systems.

Limited solar electric contractors must have 2 years of experience as a solar journeyperson before qualifying to take the two license exams. Solar electric work refers to photovoltaic work or wind generation systems that store or distribute energy for heat, light, power, or other purposes. Solar electric contractors and journeypersons may not wire into a building’s separately existing electrical system or utility meter. A regular electrician license would be required to make such a connection.

As with solar thermal journeypersons, solar electric journeypersons must complete an apprenticeship program before they can get a license. And they must take the solar electric trade exam.

The “Solar Trades” Candidate Information Bulletin from PSI (the exam administrator) has the exam application forms.

Contractor fees total about $280, which is $150 for the exam application and $65 each for 2 tests. Journeyperson fees are about $155, which is $90 for the application and $65 for the trade exam. You may also have to pay a separate license application fee of about $50.

Note: If you are an existing contractor or journeyperson in Connecticut, you can sometimes take a training course and then get a work certificate for solar thermal or electric work. In that case, you would not necessarily have to have 2 years of experience as a solar journeyperson or completion of an additional apprenticeship. However, you will still have to pass the required solar energy exam for the license you seek. View the Candidate Information Bulletin for specific details on that route to solar systems licensing in Connecticut.

Connecticut Shorthand Court Reporter License Requirements

In Connecticut, shorthand court reporters must be licensed by the Department of Consumer Protection. There is more than one way to make a verbatim record of legal proceedings. But in this state, the term “shorthand” refers to making a verbatim record of the spoken word by use of written symbols. These symbols may be recorded by a stenotype machine, a computer-aided stenotype transcription machine, or by use of manual means.

It is best to be certified by the National Court Reporter’s Association. But that is not an absolute statutory requirement. Nonetheless, it would be good for both licensing and employment purposes. And as you can see from the next paragraph, Registered Professional Reporters do not have to take the licensing test.

A shorthand court reporter’s exam must be passed unless you are a Registered Professional Reporter with the Association. Both true-or-false and multiple-choice questions may be included on the test by statute. You must also transcribe on this test. The statute calls for 3 tapes: jury charges at 200 words per minute; literary material at 180 words per minute; and Q&A material at 225 words per minute. However, the State Board of Examiners of Shorthand Reporters has the final decision-making authority on the contents of the exam.

When applying for a license, the statute prescribes a $50 nonrefundable application fee and a $150 fee for a 3-year license (this fee had been increased to $190 by the time of this post). The renewal fee is also $150. To renew your license, you must show proof of 30 hours of continuing education. Courses accepted in Connecticut are those that have been approved by the National Court Reporters Association or specifically approved by the Board if not an NCRA-approved course. However, if you are certified by that Association as at least a Registered Professional Reporter, the Board may waive the CE requirements.

Notes: Shorthand reporters must keep a record of proceedings for 7 years. But on notice, they may be required to keep such records for a longer period of time. So all reporters should have some kind of storage space for their records. The statute does not specify what kind of storage space must be used. Reporters must have a phone number, as well. And they must report all felony convictions at the time of license application. This may or may not be grounds for refusal to grant a Connecticut shorthand court reporter license, depending on the type and severity of the felony.

The following Connecticut shorthand reporter application might not be current. But I am providing it for your convenience.