Connecticut License Qualifications For Hearth Gas Product Work Contractors And Journeypersons

Connecticut has 2 licenses for hearth product workers. One is for contractors, and the other is for journeypersons. Each license has specific training/education and exam requirements. There are also some experience requirements for each license. Contractors can enter into their own contract work, but journeypersons must be employed by a contractor.

Note: G-1 and G-2 licenses are similar but different than hearth product licenses in Connecticut. These are for heating, piping, and cooling, so they include work on some gas piping. You can read this article for information on those separate license categories.

In Connecticut law, heart products include propane or natural gas fired fireplaces, fireplace inserts, stoves, or log sets. They also include associated venting and piping that simulates a flame or a solid fuel fire. Licensed contractors or journeypersons may perform installation, service, and repair of hearth products.

HPG-1 is the license for contractors. To get this license, the candidate must have 2 years of experience as a licensed hearth journeyperson. Training requirements include completion of an NFI certificate contractor course. The exam is given by PSI. Contractors must pass the hearth gas products test and a separate Connecticut law and business exam. Those with a current contracting business in another state might be given an exemption from the 2 years of work as a journeyperson. This will depend on which documents you submit to show your level of knowledge and experience.

HPG-2 is the hearth journeyperson license. 500 hours of experience in the field plus factory training are required for this license. Journeypersons must take one exam. That is the hearth gas products trade test. The business and law exam is not required of journeypersons since they do not run their own business or negotiate their own contracts with hearth product owners.

Information on the exams can be found in the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin for “Gas Supply, Storage, Piping, and Equipment.” You can get exam eligibility application forms in this booklet. After you pass the tests, you will receive more information and forms on how to get your license.

As of 2016, contractors pay an application fee of $150 and $65 for each test ($130 since they take 2). Journeypersons pay $90 plus $65 for the hearth gas products trade exam.

Connecticut Sheet Metal Contractor and Journeyperson License Requirements

The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection issues several different kinds of sheet metal work licenses for contractors and journeypersons. The type of work you can do depends on the specific license you get. And each license has different qualifications.

SM-1 is the license for limited sheet metal contractors. It requires 2 years of licensed work as a journeyperson. Other types of licenses that require 2 years of journeyperson work include the following:

1. SM-3 (limited sheet metal residential/light commercial contractor; and
2. SM-5 (limited sheet metal contractor hood systems).

For the sheet metal contractor licenses listed above, you may qualify if you have related experience and training. So 2 years as a journeyperson is not an absolute requirement. But it may be difficult to prove equivalent experience and training.

There are 3 sheet metal journeyperson licenses that correspond to the contractor license types listed above. They are as follows:

1. SM-2 (limited sheet metal journeyperson);
2. SM-4 (limited sheet metal residential/light commercial journeyperson; and
3. SM-6 (limited sheet metal journeyperson hood systems).

Note that the scope of duty of these licenses is very complex. You can refer to the Candidate Information Bulletin listed below for specifics.

Sheet metal journeypersons are only allowed to work for a contractor, so they can’t be in charge of a project. They qualify by completing an apprenticeship program. As with contractors, proof of equivalent training and experience may also replace an apprenticeship program. But it is not necessarily easy to prove such training and experience. So the least complicated way to qualify as a sheet metal journeyperson is to complete an apprenticeship program.

Most states do not require specific education since an apprenticeship program functions as both education and experience. However, some states do have contractor and journeyperson exams. Connecticut sheet metal contractors and journeypersons must pass a test given by PSI to get licensed.

As of 2016, there is a $150 exam application fee for contractors and $90 for journeypersons. Separate exam and licensing fees generally apply. You will be given notice of the current fees after you submit your initial application. Contractors must take a trade and business exam. Since journeypersons don’t run their own business, they only have to take the trade exam. At the time of this writing, each portion of the exam was $65.

These tests are partially of the “open book” variety. The Candidate Information Bulletin lists reference books and tells you which ones you may bring into the exam room for use during the actual test.

Connecticut Registration For an Agricultural And Vegetable Seed Labeler (Dealer)

Some agricultural and vegetable seed labelers must register with the Connecticut Department of Agriculture. This includes seeds for lawn and turf. A page with an application form is included at the end of this article. However, you should first determine whether you are required to register because some people are exempt.

The term “labeler” is confusing in this context. This is similar to but not exactly a seed dealer license. Those who sell these vegetable and other agricultural seeds must get a license, but not if they have an exemption. And the rule is pretty clear. If you are a seed dealer who only sells products that are already labeled by one or more duly registered seed labelers, then you can sell those seeds without registration. So basically if you are just an independent contractor who offers other people’s or company’s seeds for sale, then there is no real need for you to register since those products are already covered by the source’s own license (registration).

The initial fee for the seed labeler license was $100. However, the Department of Agriculture may change the fee over time. At least as of 2016, though, it was still $100. And all labelers must register again every year, with the expiration date being March 31.

Once you register, there are several requirements that you must continue to meet. You may not change labels or seed products in a deceptive way. No deceptive advertising is allowed, either. If you receive a stop-sale order, you must abide by it. And you may not hinder the performance of enforcement personnel or other authorized persons. The words “trace” and “type” are considered misleading or at least not specific enough when it comes to labeling. So these words are not to be used.

Records of all lots of seeds must be kept for 2 years, and a sample of each lot kept for 1 year. The Department of Agriculture may inspect these samples or records, and the seed labeler is required to make these items available upon request.

You will need to get with a seed-certifying agency about other requirements. They should be able to provide you the necessary services or at least put you in touch with the right people to produce legally compliant seed labels for your products. And the agency also certifies the seeds for purity.

If the above application form is no longer valid, then you can find the current one on the page below. If necessary, you can also call (860) 713-2513.

Connecticut License Requirements For a Respiratory Care Practitioner (Therapist)

In Connecticut, the profession of respiratory therapist is referred to as a respiratory care practitioner. These individuals are licensed by the Department of Public Health. There are 3 different routes to getting a license. Only one of them has to be met to qualify. So if have not yet gone to college or started to study for this profession, you should review the different routes to determine which one is best for your personal life situation and preferences.

The first route is a combination of education, testing, and national credentialing (certification). Courses that are approved for Connecticut licensing should be accredited or otherwise approved by the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation, Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Education, or the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care. The course may be in either respiratory therapy or respiratory therapy technology.

Connecticut has a number of associate degree programs that are accredited. They include Manchester Community College, Norwalk Community College, University of Hartford, Goodwin College, and Naugatuck Valley Community College. To search for programs nationwide, you can use the database of the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.

The examination program of the National Board for Respiratory Care is the administrator for the approved exams for Route 1. You can pass either the entry-level test for respiratory care or the one for advanced practitioners.

Besides the education and testing, Route 1 candidates must also be credentialed by the National Board for Respiratory Care. There are also 2 options here. You can be either a Registered Respiratory Therapist or a Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician.

Route 2 has no specific educational requirement. But if you qualify under Route 2, you probably did attend a respiratory therapy course. Route 2 has the same test and National Board For Respiratory Care credential requirements as Route 1. But instead of the educational course, you qualify if you were credentialed as a Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician on or before June 30, 1978. The other way to qualify is if you were credentialed on or before June 30, 1971, as a Registered Respiratory Therapist.

Route 3 is principally for Canadian applicants. You must be registered as a therapist by the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists, credentialed by the National Board as a Registered Respiratory Therapist, and also have a passing score on the National Board’s Clinical Simulation Examination. So while Route 3 does not have specific education requirements, you would generally have completed schooling in order to qualify for the Canadian Society or National Board credentialing.

The Connecticut Department of Public Health charges a $190 fee for the respiratory care practitioner application.

Connecticut License Qualifications To Become a Registered Sanitarian

Sanitarians provide an important service to the public. They work to carry out policies that ensure public health, safety, and welfare, including environmental protection. These professionals must be registered in Connecticut with the Department of Public Health. In this article, I will review the requirements to get licensed in Connecticut through the Department’s Environmental Practitioner Licensure Unit.

As of 2016, there is an $80 sanitarian registration application fee. It must be submitted with the application form contained on the page below. A personal photo must also be included. Form A is to verify your work experience. It is on the second page below.

All applicants must have at least a bachelor’s degree. No specific major is required.

There are experience qualifications, as well. You qualify with 2 years of experience in environmental health. It’s not possible to say exactly what experience qualifies here because this is a wide-ranging field. However, the work experience must involve the application of scientific knowledge for the improvement of human health and the environment.

1.5 years of experience is sufficient if you have also completed Southern Connecticut State University’s Environmental Health Training Course.

You must also pass a licensing test, which is the NEHA exam. The Department personally administers the NEHA test twice a year. The months are June and December. A test schedule can be found by scrolling down on the Environmental Practitioner Licensure page. There is a fee of $125 to take the test. This is separate and apart from licensing application fees. So if you add both the exam and application fees, it is about $200 to get registered as a sanitarian in Connecticut. Of course, any training courses and reference book purchases would involve additional expenses.|#48092

You can reinstate your license as long as it has not been inactive for more than 10 years. But if it has been inactive for longer than that, then you must take and pass the NEHA exam to reinstate your registration.

To help you prepare for the test, the Department provides a list of recommended reference books and a content outline. However, the content outline won’t do you much good unless you get the references. Of course, taking the Environmental Health Training Course is another excellent way to help prepare yourself for the exam.

Registered Clinical Laboratory Licensing Procedures In Connecticut

Certain kinds of clinical laboratories in Connecticut must get a license from the Department of Public Health. Not all labs are covered by the law that mandates a license. But those that are covered should map out a plan to meet all license qualifications as part of their overall business plan.

According to the Connecticut Public Health Code, the general rule is that a clinical laboratory that works on human-based matter must be licensed. Only places that examine specimens or materials derived from a human being or body are considered to be a “laboratory” under the statute. There is one other basic requirement for the lab to be covered by the licensing statute. And that is that the examinations are related to the purpose of determining disease or illness or determining whether or how much a patient is susceptible to a disease or illness.

The Department of Public Health must issue a license before a clinical laboratory is allowed to perform any examinations. In the event of license suspension or revocation, the lab is required to cease operations until the matter is resolved and a license reinstated or obtained again.


Some labs do not have to get this Connecticut state license even though they perform human disease examinations. They include federally owned government labs, places that do only research (don’t work with actual patients), forensic labs that don’t work with actual patients, and places that already have a CLIA exemption.

Contact the Department of Public Health to get a clinical laboratory license application form. I was not able to find one online when writing this article. The following page has a multitude of different email addresses and phone numbers that you can use to contact the Department. Also, there is a specific number for clinical laboratories. It is (860) 509-7400.

Labs are subject to inspection at all times. This includes both the actual facilities and records.

The period of license validity is variable, depending on the Department’s discretion. However, it must be at least 24 months and not more than 27 months. So you have to renew about every 2 years. Make sure you apply for renewal at least 30 days before the expiration date provided by the Department on your license. You must also apply again 30 days before a change in ownership or director or expansion, alteration, or a change in location of the actual clinical lab. This includes a change of floors in the same building.

Additional requirements of all licensed clinical laboratories can be found in Sections 19a-36-D20 to 19a-36-D39.

Connecticut Requirements To Get a License For a Recovery Care Center

This article is about one of various Connecticut medical facility licenses. It is for recovery care centers. To operate such a hospital or clinic, you must have a license from the Department of Public Health. You must also submit a renewal application at least 30 days before future expiration dates. The license may be good for up to 2 years by law. But check with the Department of Public Health for their current rule specific rule on the length of license validity for recovery care centers.

At the time of writing this article, DPH was saying that medical facility license application forms were still being updated. So if you need a form now, call Facility Licensing and Investigations at (860) 509-7407.

I will summarize the general requirements to get this license. Keep in mind that licenses are good for only the company that is applying and the specific location of the facility. You cannot transfer your license to another company. In that case, the general procedure is to have the acquiring company apply for their own license. Just inform the Department of the anticipated transfer of ownership and give the requested details and follow their specific instructions on how to proceed.

Also, any change in administrative personnel must be reported to the Department. And anticipated changes of ownership or interests of 10 percent or more in stock must be reported to the Department at least 90 days. These changes must be approved by DPH. The 90-day rule gives them time to review applicable information and make a determination.

Applicants must have malpractice insurance, financial viability (includes a 2-year budget with estimates for the initial application and balance sheet for renewal applications), and detailed information and records on administrators, nurses, doctors, and other employees. Other required records or plans include services provided, patient capacity, and identification of owners, including those with at least 10 percent interest in a stock corporation. A certificate of good standing may also be requested. All recovery care centers must designate an agent for service of process, and a yearly certificate from the fire marshal must also be included in the application packet. The Department may also request additional statistical information (the statute does not specify what kinds of statistics, so the Department has leeway to ask for all relevant information).

The above requirements are the main things that must be included with an application. But in addition to that, multiple kinds of other requirements can be found in Connecticut statutes and regulations. You can find these in Section 19a-495-571, which is part of the Public Health Code.

How To Get a Connecticut Real Estate Appraisal Management Company License

Connecticut has the typical individual real estate appraiser licenses, and you can learn about them by clicking on the below-listed “Connecticut real estate license” tag. However, they also have a license for real estate appraisal management companies. To operate a company that provides appraisal services, you must get a license from the Department of Consumer Protection.

Qualifications for such a license include the following:

1. having a reputation for fair dealing, honesty, and truthfulness;

2. competent to perform real estate appraisals while also safeguarding the interests of the public; and

3. having sufficient knowledge of real estate appraisal practice;

4. compliance managers, controlling persons, and individuals with at least 10 percent ownership must also be of good moral character, as evidenced by passing a criminal background check; and

5. hiring a certified appraiser to approve the employment or use of other appraisers and their work.

In practical terms, the 3rd requirement means that a Connecticut management company must employ licensed or certified appraisers to do the actual appraisal work if the property in question is located in this state. The law states that either provisional license holders or certified general or residential appraisers may do the work. Also, a management company has a duty to ensure that appraisals are done without compulsion or any kind of undue influence that may affect the honesty of the property valuation.

Connecticut real estate appraisal management company licenses are valid for 2 years. The expiration date is December 1 in even-numbered years. You will receive notice when it is time to renew. But you can use the form below for the initial application. There is a $1000 fee to apply for this real estate appraisal license.

Note that business organizations that have to register with the Secretary of State must do that first and then apply for this appraisal management company license. Applicants can be a partnership, limited liability company, or corporation. The form does not give an option for sole proprietors. If you want to ask about registering a management company as a sole proprietor, you should email and ask. The address is If you are using a trade name, then you must also include a copy of your trade name certificate.

Connecticut License Requirements For Real Estate Appraisers

There are 6 kinds of real estate appraiser licenses in Connecticut for individuals. I will discuss those in this article. However, there is also a separate license for real estate appraisal management companies. Look for that using the “Connecticut real estate license” tag below this blog entry. Further, I have discussed real estate appraisal education providers in a different article.

Actually, there are 3 main kinds of individual real estate appraiser license types. They are provisional, certified residential, and certified general. The other 3 are temporary licenses for provisional and certified general and residential.

A Connecticut provisional real estate appraiser license does not require a bachelor’s degree. But certified appraisers must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in any major. All license types require a certain amount of educational classes, and the certified residential and general categories have an exam requirement. The certified license types also have experience qualifications.

Those who are already licensed may apply for a reciprocal license in this state, including the certified and provisional types. Note, however, that reciprocal provisional applicants may have to take an extra course that is not required in other states. It is a Supervisor/Provisional education course, which is 3 or 4 hours. A lot of states don’t even have a “provisional license,” so they would not have such a course.

Both the standard and reciprocal licenses are applied for using the same application form.

Provisional license applicants must have 15 hours of USPAP and 30 hours each of Appraisal Principles and Appraisal Procedures, along with the Supervisor/Provisional course. This course can be a 3-hour class in Connecticut appraisal law with supervisor/provisional education or a 4-hour class in supervisor/trainee education.

Candidates for Connecticut certified general and certified residential appraiser licenses must complete the current educational requirements laid out by the Appraiser Qualifications Board, which is part of the Appraisal Foundation. Additionally, the Appraisal Foundation is the creator of the National Uniform Licensing and Certification Exam for appraisers.

The certified general exam is 6 hours, and the certified residential is 4 hours. You can use the following page to find content outlines and other helpful test-prep information.

As of 2015 (the rules may change), the experience requirements for certified general are 2500 hours over at least 2 full years. And the total for certified general appraisers is 3000 hours all together and at least 1500 in commercial appraisals over a period of at least 2.5 years.

The Appraisal Foundation’s “Real Property Appraiser Qualifications Criteria” online booklet tells you the exact courses you need to take for certified residential and general licensing.

Starting in 2017, the Foundation says that you must pass a background check to become an appraiser. Criminal records for the past 5 years will be checked. Refer to the Connecticut application form for details on this requirement.

For info on temporary appraiser licensing, you can register at Once you register, look for the application forms and then view them to get the details on what conditions qualify you for a temporary license.

Connecticut License Requirements For a Real Estate Broker Legal Entity

I have two main articles for Connecticut real estate brokers. This one applies to legal entities. You must register as a business entity if this is the business organization of your real estate broker business. However, if you are simply acting as a broker who is a sole proprietor, you do not have to register as a legal entity. However, you still must apply under the standard broker license application process.

A legal entity must have someone who has at least passed the Connecticut real estate broker’s exam. The absence of a designated broker would make it impossible to register as a legal entity and broker the sale of real estate in this state.

Entities that must register include partnerships, corporations, and limited liability companies. Both public, private (stock), and nonstock corporations must register for this real estate legal entity license. There is a fee of up to $1000 to legal entities that broker real estate without a license.

In addition to the real estate license, all required business organization filings must be completed. This is done through the Connecticut Secretary of State. The relevant partnership agreement or articles of organization or incorporation must also be included.

There are several fees involved in the application. The $120 fee for a designated broker applies if you are not already an individually licensed broker. There is also another $120 application fee for the legal entity. And there is an expensive fee of $565 for the actual license. Finally, there is a smaller $20 fee for the guaranty fund.

If salespersons are being used, additional salesperson transfer forms must be submitted. This only applies if you are hiring licensed salespersons. And you are not allowed to use unlicensed salespersons. Transfers are $25 each.

51 percent of the real estate broker legal entity must be owned by licensed brokers. Salespersons may have a noncontrolling interest only. In the case of a nonstock corporation, at least 51 percent of the members must be licensed brokers. Information on the members and officers must be included with the application.

Individual brokers who work for a legal entity must keep in mind that they still have the same legal responsibilities as individual brokers to comply with all Connecticut law for all real estate transactions. And the legal entity is also responsible for the actions of its brokers.

Application And Salesperson Transfer Forms[2011].pdf