The South Dakota Real Estate Commission is the state licensing agency for home inspectors. There are 2 categories, and they consist of registered home inspectors and licensed home inspectors.
The first step to either license is to attend a training school for home inspection. The second step is to take South Dakota’s home inspector licensing exam.
There are about 10 to 15 approved home inspector training schools in late 2016. More may be added and some may be removed later. Refer to the following page for the updated list.
As of the time of this blog post, AMP is the exam administrator that South Dakota uses for the home inspection test. AMP has a Candidate Handbook that you can use to register for the exam. You must take the test in Sioux Falls or Rapid City. The fee was $133 at the time of writing.
South Dakota has a study guide on the Real Estate Commission’s website. They say that 10 percent of the test is on South Dakota law. The page, which is listed below, has the statutes that you need to study. So you need to pretty much memorize those statutes, at least to the point that you can answer multiple-choice questions about them. The other 90 percent of the test is substantive material on home inspections. The Real Estate Commission says that you should study your course books and materials to prepare for this other 90 percent of the test.
In this state, you pass the test first and then submit your license application. A background check is required. That costs around $40 to $50. There is a $200 application fee for the home inspector license. You must submit the application no more than 60 days after passing the exam. So have everything ready to submit except your score report before you even sit for the exam. This is a harsh rule and means that you must take the test again if you don’t submit in time.
You will be considered a registered home inspector after completing a course of at least 40 hours, passing the test, and applying and getting accepted. Thereafter, you can be elevated to a licensed home inspector by being registered at least a year and doing at least 100 home inspections in which you were compensated. You must apply again and include an experience log to be elevated to the “licensed” level.